Jesse L. Murrell's Journal

Contributed By: Mark Murrell



Book I

June 16, 1885 to December 7, 1912


Summary of Jesse L. Murrell's Ancestors

My great grandfather Jesse Murrell, born February 26, 1774, came from Nelson County, Virginia, where he married Sarah Francis Philips, who was born May 24, 1775 to Obeys [?] River near Monticello, Kentucky in 1805. Then on January 9, 1807 [he] moved to Adair County. Their children were James, born August 22, 1799, Betsy Elizabeth, born April 8, 1801, John, born April 10, 1803, Nathan, born April 2, 1805, Mary Ann, born April 5, 1808, Sam, born May 29, 1810, Billy, born March 31, 1812, Jesse, [born] November 3, 1814, Anderson, born March 3, 1817, and Elijah, born October 15, 1820.


My great, great grandparents on the Lobbin side were John Lobbin and Mary Ann Gath. Great great grandpa Lobbin was born in 1733 in Aberdeen, Scotland. When at the age of eleven years his stepmother whipped him for letting a cow step on his half-sister's foot, and he decided to leave home for it so he: so he promised a steamship company to shovel coal for them for his ride, which he did but soon became very blue when of course it was too late. He arrived in America alright and settled in Louisa County, Virginia, where at the age of twenty-eight he married Mary Ann Gath, who was hardly twelve. After they were married, he came in for his dinner one day and found her playing with the little Negroes without any dinner prepared. He corrected her for it but never had to again. Their children were Peggie or Margarett, Nancy, Betsy and Jesse who were twins, Bill, Mary, Patsy, John, and James.


Jesse and Sallie Murrell were my grandparents. He was born 1772 and she was born May 24, 1775. Anderson, who was one of his sons, was my grandfather. He married Lavania Naylor February 9, 1843. Her parents' names were James Naylor and Sallie Selby. Grandpapa died June 1, 1883 and Grandmama died May 23, 1893. Great grandpapa moved to where Uncle Nathan now lives on January 7, 1807. The names of my uncles and aunts on the Murrell side were Sarah Barger, born May 3, 1844, Nathan, born August 2, 1845, Mary, [born] September 16, 1847, Theresa Young, born July 10, 1849, Addie Taylor, born May 30, 1851, Jesse, born March 14, 1854,
Belle Wolford, born March 28, 1857, Samuel, born January 3, 1859, James, born March 10, 1861, and Howard, born October 29, 1863.              


Howard A. Murrell's Generation

Howard A. Murrell was married to Henrietta Austin, who was five years, six months and one day older than he was, making her birth on the 28 of April, 1860. They were married December 21, 1883, putting him at the age of twenty years, one month and twenty-two days [and] putting her at the age of twenty-five years, seven months and twenty-three days. Their children were Alexander, born January 17, 1885, Lavina or Mollie Elder, born September 3, 1886, Jesse, born June 16, 1889, Rutha Reynolds, born December 18, 1890, and Benjamin Anderson, born August 22, 1892. Henrietta Murrell died November 3, 1892 at the age of thirty-two years, six months and five days. Howard A. Murrell was married to Lou Ella Dehart May 31, 1893. She was born April 30, 1874, thus making her nineteen years, one month and one day old and making him twenty-nine years, seven months and two days old when they married.

Their children were Walter Murrell, born April 3, 1895, Talmage, born July 27, 1896, Piner, born March 30, 1898, Garrett, born July 12, 1899, Maggie, born September 17, 1901, Rollin, born January 31, 1904, and Nina, born August 22, 1907.

Talmage died at the age of three months and twenty-one days, Piner died at the age of three months and six days, and Rollin died at the age of four years, ten months and thirteen days.

Mollie was married to William T. Elder September 24, 1903, [and] Rutha was married to William F. Reynolds September 8, 1909.Sketches of Jesse L. Murrell Jr.'s Life.


Jesse L. Murrell Jr. is a son of Howard A. Murrell. Howard married and settled on a farm of one hundred and twenty-five acres near Craycraft, a country post office and store, in Adair County, Kentucky. He was not a business man now was he an educated man, but he was a devout Christian, a man that had the highest regards for principle. His great object was to raise his children up rightly and to make them acquainted with the Master by pausing every evening before retiring to hold devotional services. He was never cruel to his family, but his children knew when to mind what he said. Jesse was a healthy boy and grew very fast, mostly getting his growth before he was fifteen years old. His mother died when he was about three and one half years old. His father, not being very much skilled in the care of children, found it necessary to give his children to some of his friends for keeping until he could do something for them. He, therefore, gave Alex, Jesse, and Anderson to his brother Nathan, and gave Mollie to his sister Sarah Barger, and gave Rutha to William Vaughan, the home in which his orphan sweet-heart was living when he married her.


After Howard's wife had been dead for about six months, he married again to Miss Lou Ella Dehart; he immediately brought all of his children back home but Rutha. Though he made a second choice in a short time, he surely had divine guidance in choosing his second companion as well as his first, because no mother has ever proven her love and interest with more strength than has his second wife. Her step-children love her as a mother, and love her children as their own brothers and sisters. Jesse was a very mischievous lad and took all the privileges given to him. He was a proud-hearted child, always felt uncomfortable if his clothes were not as nice as his associates.


He never enjoyed work when a lad but could do a good share when he had to. He could be depended upon when left to do a duty, even when a child. His step-mother said of him, "When he was still wearing dresses, she left him one day alone at the house while she went to the cornfield to pick a mess of beans. Being afraid he would fall out [of] the high door, she tied him with a string to or near the churn which she had filled and partly churned and told him, for his amusement; for she did not think he would do it, to churn while she was gone. She went and returned as quickly as possible to find him still standing by the churn, contentedly but slowly churning still, when she looked into the churn she found the butter was forming into pones. Jesse's father encouraged him by giving him a patch of ground, usually two or three acres, from the time he was large enough to need spending money until he left home. Therefore, from the very early years of his boyhood, he bought his own clothing, but many times he had to deny himself of that which he really needed because his patch usually did not produce him more than $10 or $15. When Jesse was about fourteen years old, he found himself without decent clothes for Sunday dress and also without money or any source from which to receive any. One day, without his parents' knowledge, he decided to go over the hills to a sawmill which was about one mile and one half from his home, and apply for work. When he entered the hollow in which the mill was placed, he saw no familiar faces, but the men were wicked and strange to him. He found out who the boss was and with all the courage he could command asked if he might get a job. The boss who was filing the saw stopped and told him that there was but one job not taken and that that was the wheeling away of the sawdust. Jesse asked him what it paid, and the boss told him ten cents per hour. Jesse told him he would try to keep the dust away, and the boss, with a kind of smile, for he did not believe the boy would last long, said alright. Jesse did not have his dinner with him and it was too far to go home after it, so he asked the boss if he could get dinner there. The boss told him he could. He went home that night hardly knowing what to expect, but when he told them what he had done, they rather scoffed at him for working at a sawmill.


This did not change his ambition, for he wanted some clothes. The next morning when the women folk found that he was going back that day, they prepared a dinner for him. He worked six days at the mill, quitting at quartering time. Saturday afternoon he went home, cleaned up and shaved, 'though there was not much of a change in his appearance after he had shaved. It was for several weeks before he got his pay, [and] when he did he went to town and purchased a suit of clothes and a hat. Now he was a happy boy, for he was not ashamed of his raiment. Jesse was not away from home long at a time until he was fifteen years old, at which time he and Alex in the month of January 1904 went to Indiana. Staying there a little more than one month, they went on to Illinois seeking labor and good wages. They landed in Tuscola about eight o'clock one night and found a cheap lodging for their money was scarce. The next morning, they bought a breakfast of cheese and crackers, then started out in the country to see about work. Not being able to find a job near together, they decided to go farther north - to Champaign, where they had been told there were better chances for getting work.


They arrived in Champaign about ten o'clock at night, very tired and almost exhausted, but on account of their small means they decided that they had better try to spend the remainder of the night at the depot. They had not been at Champaign very long when Jesse heard a tap on the window behind where he was sitting; he looked around and saw a Negro motioning for him to come out.


He got up and went to the door, rather suspicious, and asked the Negro what he wanted. The Negro told him he would like to have a letter addressed, for he could not write. He wanted Jesse to go with him to a place where he could address the letter, but Jesse, perceiving that it probably would be the last letter he would ever address, would not go with him. After things had quieted down and most everybody had gone, Jesse and Alex went into the ladies' waiting room, where they thought they would be safe, to take their night, and much needed, rest.


They had not been in there very long when a stalwart-looking policeman walked up to them and asked them which train they were waiting for. They told him as best they could why they were there, and that it was so late they could not find a lodging that they were able to pay for. He told them to follow him and he would find them a place; so they picked up their suitcases and humbly followed the policeman, not knowing but that he would take them to the city building. They soon came to a building that appeared to be a compromise between a residence and a public building standing alone from any other building. They ascended the stairway, which entered from the outside, and came to a door.


The policeman knocked on the door, and after a few minutes a gentleman came and opened the door. The policeman told him that there were with him two boys who would like to have a bed. The gentlemen said alright, the policeman excused himself, and the boys were soon given a small room with a skylight window in it. They were soon fast asleep. They arose the next morning rather early, and after taking a wash and having a comfortable talk with the gentleman, and after having paid their bill, they departed with fifty cents in Alex's possession and none in Jesse's. They bought another cheese and cracker breakfast and soon decided to leave their suitcases with a grocery merchant while they were hunting in the country for work. They were told of a man just on the north edge of town who wanted a man, so their first desire was to see him. They saw him, and he said he would take one of them at $20 per month. Then their next task was to find a place for the other one. They knew no better way than to start northward, inquiring at every home they came to. They had gone two or three miles before they heard of any work. Finally, they were told of a man by the name of Connett who lived about two miles farther north who would like to have a man. They plodded on in the mud, for the day was moderately warm and there was a slush of about one inch in depth, until about the noon hour they arrived at Connett's home. Connett invited them in to the fire, where they could talk over the situation in comfort. Dinner was soon called, and they had the privilege of eating a wholesome dinner again. They carried on quite a conversation at the table and got somewhat acquainted. Though the boys were unconscious of it, Connett was finding out whether they would suit him or not.


After they had gone back into the sitting room, Connett said he would hire Alex because he was older, provided that a man whom he was expecting did not come. The boys asked him if he knew of anyone who would hire the other, Jesse. Connett told them that the next man on the west side of the road would need another man. So he called up a man by the name of Ehler and told him of the boys. Ehler told him to send them up. So, they went up to talk with Mr. Ehler. In southern fashion, they went and rang the front doorbell. Mr. Ehler came to the door and asked them to come to the back door. So they went to the back door, and he asked them to come in where they could talk things over. Mr. Ehler decided to hire Jesse at $20 per month [in] March 1904.


Alex started back to work for Mr. Gates, the first man they saw down near town. On his way he met Mr. Connett, who had gotten his mail, and heard that his other man was not coming, so he decided to go and get Alex, for he had become impressed with the boys' conversation at dinner. He hired Alex, and the two boys worked for these men until after corn-husking, when they went back home with ambitions for Jesse to go to school at the Lindsay Wilson Training School, which is situated at Columbia, Kentucky, and for Alex to begin plans for tearing down the old log house at home and rebuilding a nice frame house instead. About Christmas 1904, Jesse was taken with rheumatism, which prevented him from starting to school after the holidays. He improved so that he was able to start to school at the first of March, 1905. He was in school about one month when he became ill with something like a fever. He was taken home in the afternoon and became unconscious about ten o'clock in the night. He was in that condition until about three the next afternoon, when the doctor came and injected some stimulant into his arm. When he awoke, he wanted to get out of bed and was so urgent that the folk had to tell him how bad his condition had been before they could persuade him to remain in bed. He soon recovered and went back to his school dormitory to get his trunk; when they saw him, some of them said, "We thought you were dead." The doctor had reported there after he first saw him that he did not expect him to be alive when he came the next day. Jesse did not attempt to continue his work in school, but when he was able helped Alex with the house. After summer came, Jesse baffled [sic] the rheumatism, and with Alex they hastened the completion of the house as much as possible, for Alex wanted to return to Illinois in August. They had the house almost complete when he left, and Jesse completed it. In the meantime, Jesse had been going to school at home as much as was possible. He also attended a subscription school at Concord taught by B. W. Pierce until the middle of March, 1906, when he went to Illinois again to work for the same Mr. Ehler. Alex had also hired to him. Jesse worked for Mr. Ehler until June the eighth, 1908. During the month of March, 1908, Jesse attended a revival meeting at the church called Mt. Vernon, a Methodist church, about six miles north of Champaign, Illinois.


He was directing the choir when on Sunday night of the meeting, he became heavily convicted for sin; but he did not take any stand for Christ then, although as they sang "All to Jesus", he almost broke down. Lumps appeared to form in his throat so that he could not sing, and the muscles of his face seemed to try to hide behind his ears. Alex was there that night and noticed that his brother was deeply concerned, and he resolved to stay away the next night, remembering that when he undertook to seek Christ, he wished he was away from his people on account of bashfulness. On Monday night, Jesse went to church and took his place in the choir, but he felt like a thief for sitting near the alter and leading the people in song for lost souls when he
himself was one of the lost ones. The minister, the Reverend Cook, preached an excellent sermon that night, as he did the night before, and the meeting had come to the same stage that it had the night before when he almost broke down, when he got in even a worse condition, then he turned and laid his book in his chair and gave the minister, whom he loved and who was standing within two steps of him, pleading in the most touching manner for souls, his hand and sank on his knees before the alter, where for more than one hour, with the help of the good people, he sought pardon for his sins. At length he was saved, and he can not express the feeling that lit up his face and gladdened his heart.


He joined the church, having been baptized in his mother's arms many years before. As he began to think over his new life, he became possessed of the impression that he ought to go to school and prepare for Christian service. Accordingly, in September he went to Bloomington, Illinois, where he procured a scholarship in music and entered the Academic Department of the Wesleyan University of Illinois, which is situated in Bloomington. He had a very successful year there, and the most profitable year of his previous life. He made a contract with a book concern to sell books the summer vacation 1908. But he despised that kind of life and only stayed with it about three weeks. At the end of the three weeks, he found himself at Monticello, Illinois with a suitcase and bicycle as his property and ten cents in money, where his bed would cost him at least twenty-five cents and his meals no less. He was thirty-five miles from the place, Champaign, which he called his home. He decided that the only thing for him to do was to try to get home before night; so at two o'clock in the afternoon, he went down to the interurban depot and expressed his suitcase C.O.D. and then got on his bicycle and started home. He was encountered by a shower of rain on his way, which almost checked his travel, for the mud, block and stick, clogged his wheels. The shower only covered a narrow strike of territory, and when he passed it he traveled well until he got home about six o'clock. His fatigue was somewhat softened by two dishes of ice cream, which he bought with his ten cents along the way.


He worked with Bert Grindley during the summer months, and until about one month before he intended to go back to the Wesleyan, he had no other thought than that he would go back there; but one day while he was helping thresh oats, he met a young Kentuckian whose acquaintance he obtained, and in the course of their conversation, the Kentuckian found out that he was attending school. He asked Jesse why he did not go to school at Berea, Kentucky. Jesse had hardly heard of the school, but he was willing to find out about it. So Jesse asked him about Berea, and he gave such glowing accounts of it that Jesse wrote to the school for information, and as a result of this, he decided to enter school there in September, against the will of all his friends. He went by his old homestead and visited his people for a week before he was to enter school, then he moved on to Berea and entered school very much pleased with the place [on] September 15, 1908. In the meantime as he was going from Campbellsville to Columbia, Kentucky on a stage coach, he lost his pocketbook with what money he had to enter school; so he borrowed $20 from his Uncle James to go on to Berea and enter school. He employed the First National Bank of Columbia to look up his pocketbook with but little faith that he would ever find it, but within a few weeks, he received a letter from the bank saying they had found it, that a Negro found it several days after it had been lost. After hearing from Jesse, the bank sent the pocketbook on to him with all the money but seventy-five cents, which the Negro used for advertising. Jesse arrived at Berea on a rainy afternoon and got his room assignment, and when he got to his room he found that a Mr. Case from Lawrenceburg, Kentucky was his roommate. Case was a wild-natured sort of a fellow, but Jesse had the pleasure of seeing him a converted boy before Christmas one night in their room after prayer meeting [in] 1908. Jesse went home Christmas and took his brother Anderson back to school with him. They both stayed until the close of the school year, when Anderson returned home and Jesse stayed and was employed by the college to do carpenter work through all but two weeks of the vacation. During the two weeks, he was assisting in a revival meeting near Winchester, Kentucky [and] led the singing. During the school year of 1909-10, Jesse became infatuated with the charms of a Miss Beulah Young from Baldwin, Kentucky. In January 1910 they began to keep company and continued fondly all the year. When after school had closed and she was starting home, he escorted her down to the depot, and after procuring her ticket and getting her trunk checked, he saw her into the car and found her a seat and bade her goodbye, but before he could get out, the train had got up such speed that he could not get off, so he went on the Richmond where Miss Young would change cars, and with her and her friend he spent the time from three P.M. until twelve that night, when his return train arrived, very pleasantly. Jesse entered school again in September 1910 and continued until June, when the year ended. The first year of his schooling at Berea was the least important for him, both socially and intellectually. He had charge of the prayer meeting in his dormitory each Thursday evening of the first term and did some society work. To aid him in his financial support, he worked at the carpenters' trade for the college on Friday afternoons and Saturdays until Christmas, when he was called to be monitor of the chapel, which job he held until he left. The second year he was chairman of the Personal Workers Committee of the Y.M.C.A., led the singing at each meeting of the Association, led the singing in the Academy chapel, led the devotional song each evening at the supper table in his hall, and during his whole stay there, he sang in the church choir and was a member of the Harmonica Society. He was also a member of the college brass band the last year (the second year, 1911). He was president of the Literary Society, to which he belonged the first term of the second year, and was third member of the literary board of that society (Beta Kappa) the second term. At the close of the second year, June 8, 1911, he went to Illinois to spend his vacation in working on the farm for George Ehler. During the summer, he decided to stay and help his brother Alex run a farm owned by Dan Morrissey three and one half miles north of Champaign. So he stayed with George until after corn husking. Then he went and helped George's father W. W. finish husking. Then he stayed with Halet Ira Nelson, who had fallen and hurt himself, for about a month (until January 8th), from whence he went to Ed Maya's, where he stayed until March 2, 1912, on which day he and Alex moved onto the farm they rented from Morrissey. Jesse stayed on the farm until September 5th, at which time he sold out his share of the farm interests and returned to Berea College, where he entered school the 11th. The 22nd of September he began to keep a daily diary.


The Daily Diary of Jesse L. Murrell


Sunday, September 29, 1912

My program today was to arise at 5:30 and sweep in the chapel until 6:30, when the breakfast bell rang. Then I washed and redressed for breakfast. Our breakfast consisted in one boiled egg for each, syrup, oatmeal, biscuit and light bread. After breakfast I returned to my room (monitor's room of chapel) and got ready for a bath, which I took at Pearson's Hall. Then I shaved and dressed in my nicest and then inspected the janitor's work in chapel, then sat down and read my bible lesson. They I went in to Sunday school for twenty minutes, after then we went to our recitation room and had a talk, Professor Clark being leader, about the heroism of Abram. Then I went to the music hall, where the choir practiced a song for church. At eleven o'clock, we went to the Union Church and stayed until 12:15, after which I returned to the chapel and closed the doors and washed for dinner. The dinner bell rang at 12:30, and when I got there I found that we had potatoes, gravy, boiled beef, cooked tomatoes, syrup, beet pickles and bread. After dinner I went with a friend to his room, where we made music, he playing the violin and I the guitar. Then I came to my room and wrote a letter to Alex, then straightened the chapel out for evening worship, then practiced a few moments on the piano (having begun to take lessons at the beginning of the year or term), then I did some simultaneous reading until 5:15, when the supper bell rang.


I went early to supper, for it is my duty to be there early every Sunday evening to lead in the singing of the doxology, after which we sat down and served the rice and cracker shadow, which was brought to us in bowls. We had besides them huckleberries as dessert, syrup and bread, and water, of course. After supper, all of us boys who are interested in Y.M.C.A. came to the upper chapel and had a session of worship led by Mr. Taylor, and I had the privilege of directing the song service.


At 7:30 we adjourned and assembled in upper chapel. We had a rousing service there, and Mr. Dr. [sic] Roberts preached. I again had the privilege of directing the music and was appointed as one of a committee of four to provide special music for the Sunday night meetings. After the service was over and all were gone, I turned off the lights which I had turned on before the meetings. Then I came to my room and made ready for bed.


Monday, September 30, 1912

Mountain Day. A party of us went to Robe's Mountain and East Pinnacle. The day was ideal; slightly cool. Our wagon broke down coming back, but we patched it and got back alright about 4:45. After supper, I studied until eleven o'clock, when I went to bed.


Tuesday, October 1, 1912

First day of the school week; was my easy day. At night, as usual on a week night, I led the singing in the dining hall. We had Harmonia Society after supper from 6:30 to 7:30. I am treasurer of that society. I sat up until eleven o'clock at night and finished reading the life of Ferdinand Magellan.


Wednesday, October 2, 1912

I arose at 5:35 A.M. and did some janitor work until breakfast, then went through the regular routine of the day. At 4:30 I went down on the athletic field and played football with the fellows until 5:20. After supper I attended a football meeting in room 80, after which I pursued my physics problems until ten, at which time I went to bed.


Thursday, October 3, 1912

I arose at 5:40 and did some janitor work until the breakfast bell rang, then I shaved and redressed and got to breakfast in good time. I went out again at 4:30 P.M. and played football with the fellows. We had bad luck. Four fellows were hurt. After supper I went to the Bible study class in Bruce Building that I have the privilege of teaching each Thursday night under the auspices of the Y.M.C.A. I went to bed at 9:30.


Friday, October 4, 1912

I arose at the usual time, and the day's events have passed in the usual way. No one was hurt in football. After supper we had choir practice at the Union Church. I retired at 9:30.


Saturday, October 5, 1912

A fine day. A fire in the west end of town at 7:30; two houses burned. Went to the Christian Church after the fire and heard their evangelist say that we all would have to join their denomination and be baptized by immersion if we ever got to Heaven. If that be the truth I am doomed for Hell, and God is narrow.


Sunday, October 6, 1912

A strenuous day. Had to do some janitor work for some fellows who were not on their duty. Attended Sunday school, church, afternoon talk at the point, Y.M.C.A. and chapel. I directed the music in the last three named, and now I am tired and shall go to bed at 9:40 P.M.


Monday, October 7, 1912

No school. Spent the day straightening up our room and doing janitor work in the chapel until in the afternoon, [when] I went to the library and found a great deal of literature on Christmas, for that was what I was looking for. I began today to see how many members I could get for Y.M.C.A. during the week.


Tuesday, October 8, 1912

Regular school work and Harmonia at 6:30 to 7:30.


Wednesday, October 9, 1912

The weather these days is very fine. Ideal. I attended the open meeting of A. B. literary society at 7:30 in company with Miss Beulah Young. My regular time of going to bed is 9:30 to ten P.M., and my regular time of rising is 5:30 to six A.M.


Thursday, October 10, 1912

Had a strenuous time to get the boys all to do their work in janitoring before classtime. Heard a talk about Johann [?] at chapel. Met my Bible study class at 6:30 until 7:30. Mr. Joseph Elkinson was the man's name who spoke to us in chapel [on] Johann [?]. He is a Quaker. A trustee of Lincoln Institute.


Friday, October 11, 1912

These are fine days; just a little warmer than we need. Had a good day of work. Choir practice at 6:30. Bed at 10:30.


Saturday, October 12, 1912

A small shower of rain early. School work is going fine. Went to a fire at 7:30. A store burned. Society after the fire. Music lesson at 1:30 to 2:10. Miss Todd my teacher. She says I am doing remarkably well [on the] piano. I enjoy it very much.


Sunday, October 13, 1912

My patience was again tried by not finding that all the janitors had done their work well. At one P.M. our twelve fellows who were the campaign leaders of the blue side in Y.M.C.A. met and made plans for entertaining the association on the athletic field tomorrow evening, for we lost in the contest. At 1:30 Luther Brown and I went out for a walk. We found chestnuts, walnut, persimmons, apples, pawpaws, and hickory nuts. I ate too many pawpaws, I think, for I am beginning to feel sick. We had united chapel. The day has been a truly worshipfully one. Dr. Roberts has preached two fine sermons.


Monday, October 14, 1912

I got the [word missing] to scouring their floors here in the chapel. I feel very badly. I think I shall have to lie down awhile. Those pawpaws served me hard. My bowels are "running away". At two o'clock we go down to see the football game between the College and the Academy. The Academy boys won 32 to

0. We yelled ourselves hoarse. At 6:30 we went to the athletic field and built a bonfire and had a nice sixty-minute program. I feel so tough that I am going to bed early.


Tuesday, October 15, 1912

Nothing of interest happened today, only we heard [that] Roosevelt was shot.


Wednesday, October 16, 1912

At noon a party of about ten women from Lexington were here, and I showed them about the place from 2:10 to 3:30 P.M. They were very much interested to see the homemade articles at the Domestic Science Department. We saw the girls weaving rugs and carpets. I met with Messrs. Crawford, Hamilton and Vogol at 6:30 to 7:45, and we organized ourselves into a quartet to furnish music in our literary society, Beta Kappa. At 7:30 I attended an entertainment in the chapel given by the Girls' Society.


Thursday, October 17, 1912

Nothing unusual happens.
Friday, October 18, 1912

I have the blues in the early part of the day. I am dull of understanding. It is hard for me to keep my attention on my work. At 4:30 went to practice football. Choir practice 6:30 to 7:30. About eight o'clock Fred Turner came in and stayed with me for about two hours. Bed at eleven o'clock.


Saturday, October 19, 1912

A little rain last night. My studies are going fine today. We have physics laboratory on Saturday from ten to twelve o'clock. I enjoy it. I am doing well at football. I have an appointment on the Academy team. Attended Society at 7:30 to 8:30 -- made an extemporaneous speech.


Sunday, October 20, 1912

A real worshipful day. In the morning I went through my regular routine. After dinner P. C. Wilson and I went out to Narrow Gap. He conducting I conducting [sic] the remaining service. In Y.M.C.A. Miss Bowerson gave a good talk about women. Professor Raine [?] preached a fine sermon on sin at 7:30


Monday, October 21, 1912

I practiced piano about two hours, made out the janitors' payroll for the chapel. Did collective reading, wrote some. At supper, the faculty being absent, I was one who was invited to sit at their table, which I did. We had a good [word missing] and a good time.


Tuesday, October 22, 1912

Professor Rumald gave us a fine lecture in chapel. It rained this afternoon, so that we could not play football.


Wednesday, October 23, 1912

Professor Lewis gave a lecture in chapel from Ecclesiastes 10:10 -- "Sharpening our tools". He also gave an illustrated lectureof a birds [sic] at 6:45 P.M. Played my first real game of football. I am getting along fine in school.


Thursday, October 24, 1912

We had a little frost this morning. We had a good time in our Bible study class this evening. We were studying about Joseph.


Friday, October 23, 1912

We had a hard lesson in physics. Attended an entertainment in chapel by Elias Day -- humorous.


Saturday, October 26, 1912

Heard Ham Morrow of Louisville speak for two hours in favor of Taft.


Sunday, October 27, 1912

Did some janitor this morning. Heard Dr. Palmer on a talk about the Anti-Saloon League. At night I heard Mr. Rogers, a son of the Rogers who was one of the founders of Berea College, talk for twenty minutes.


Monday, October 28, 1912

I got my things together and helped the Academy football team beat the Vocational 45 to 0 this afternoon. After supper the members of the Y.M.C.A. met at the gymnasium and had a feed after hearing the supposed heads of the great political parties. I go the bed early, for I am tired. These days are unsurpassable [sic] beautiful.


Tuesday, October 29, 1912

I went horseback riding in the afternoon with a Mr. Frost from

New York.


Wednesday, October 30, 1912

After supper two fellows and myself made music with the mandolin, banjo and guitar, I picking the guitar.


Thursday, October 31, 1912

We had a good time at chapel this evening from 7:30 to 9:30. We had a Halloween social. We were masked and did many silly "stunts".


Friday, November 1, 1912

Rather cool. Was rather dull in my classes in the afternoon. Heard that Vice President Sherman was dead.


Saturday, November 2, 1912

I got up at five A.M. and went to the football field, where we had a vigorous practice for an hour. We have supper at 5:20 now. Burnham from Richmond spoke in chapel tonight in behalf of Taft Republicans.


Sunday, November 3, 1912

Dr. Hubbard (Dean of Collegiate Department) preached at Union Church at eleven o'clock. I have a very bad cold in my lungs, and it is very unpleasant to sing.


Monday, November 4, 1912

Dean Dinsmore of the Normal Department of Berea College lectured in chapel in behalf of the Progressive Party at 2:30 to 4:30. He is running for Congress. He is a brilliant man. I have finished reading "Evangeline" and think it great.


Tuesday, November 5, 1912

Election Day. We all gathered at the chapel at nine P.M. and stayed until 11:30 hearing the returns. We could not find anything definite, but we think Wilson is elected by a large plurality.


Wednesday, November 6, 1912

Wilson is elected President of U.S.A. by the largest majority that a President has ever been elected by. At night the men of the town shot animals and made merry because of the returns of the election. Professor Matheny told me that we would sure have a panic during the next four years, not simply because the Democrats were in power but because panics come at regular intervals, and it is about time for one.


Thursday, November 7, 1912

The reports now are that Wilson got 431, Roosevelt [got] 85, and Taft got 15 of the electoral votes. The Orphean Quartet entertained us tonight in chapel. I have never had a better entertainment.


Friday, November 8, 1912

I got P. C. Wilson to take my Bible class tonight, as I had to go to choir. Our weather is good. We hardly need any fire.


Saturday, November 9, 1912

Was excused from my afternoon classes to practice football, and we practiced hard. I am stiff and sore now.


Sunday, November 10, 1912

I went out with Mr. Hudson to a church about ten miles back in the mountains today. We had a good country dinner with a humble but intelligent family by the name of Davis. We were gone from eight A.M. to 5:20 P.M. As we came back, we saw the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen.


Monday, November 11, 1912

Went to the athletic field at eight A.M. and practiced for an hour, then went up to Pearson Hall and had a hot bath, and then a friend rubbed me down with witch-hazel and I felt great. We went down to the field at 1:30 P.M. and got ready for the game, which came off at two to four P.M. A close and hard game was played, and a score of 12 to 6 in favor of the College team. I am very sore and tired tonight.


Tuesday, November 12, 1912

I am very tired and sore over the game. I am mentally dull. I am determined to practice hard to beat the College team so far as I am concerned. A Mr. Otis spoke to us in chapel on "birds" tonight.


Wednesday, November 13, 1912

Rain today. I have the "blues" a little. I was invited down to Mrs. Ernburg's for supper. Henry Murrell (a student from England) was there also. We had a nice time. She is a Swede and is very refined. She teaches the girls how to make cloth and carpets and rugs and such stuff on the loom.


Thursday, November 14, 1912

Got up at 5:30 this morning and practiced football with the boys. Had a pleasant time with the fellows in Bible study tonight.


Friday, November 15, 1912

It is now known that the Electoral College vote is 426 for Wilson, 77 for Roosevelt, and 12 for Taft. I visited my roommate, Walter Ritter, who is in the hospital. Went to choir after supper.


Saturday, November 16, 1912

The first freeze we have had. It held us up well this morning while we were practicing football. I went to the train with Miss Young, who went home for a short visit. I have a great longing to be back on the farm. It is hard for me to task myself to my studies.


Sunday, November 17, 1912

I prepared for and read a paper in Y.M.C.A. tonight on the subject "Criticism of Speech".


Monday, November 18, 1912

Before dinner played a game of tennis with Dave Hopkins. After

dinner had a two and one half hour football practice. The Academy girls gave the football players a nice supper tonight.


Tuesday, November 19, 1912

A temperance lecture at night by James G. Wooley.


Wednesday, November 20, 1912

An ideal day. I ate too much dinner.


Thursday, November 21, 1912

I did nothing unusual. I have never seen a finer evening than this.


Friday, November 22, 1912

At supper hour I was in a social at Ladies Hall. A picture of the entire institution was taken at ten A.M.


Saturday, November 23, 1912

At night we had a lecture by Dr. W. L. Heizer on public health. It was very fine. He spent some time on hookworm. He said they are about three quarters of an inch long and nearly as large in diameter as an ordinary pin. He said consumption is not hereditary. We did not have Society tonight.


Sunday, November 24, 1912

A snowy, blusterous day. The Bible study leaders met with Dr. Hubbard and considered plans of personal work for the meeting following Thanksgiving. The football boys have a table to themselves not at the dining hall.


Monday, November 25, 1912

Had a good football practice.


Tuesday, November 26, 1912

My attention is mainly centered on the game that we are to have with the College team Thursday. I can't study much. We are confident that we shall win the game.


Wednesday, November 27, 1912

My thoughts are so taken up with the football that I can't study much. Matheny excused the team from class obligations this week. We had our last practice this afternoon for the season. I like it very much.


Thursday, November 28, 1912

The College won the football game 6 to 0, but they won it because of a fumble of ours and not because of their ability. We had a fine supper (turkey, etc.), and the boys helped the girls wash the dishes, after which we had a nice social. Dr. Hubbard preached the Thanksgiving sermon at ten o'clock, and Reverend Knight conducted a praise meeting following.


Friday, November 29, 1912

I am glad the football game is over. I must now take to my books with more determination. From 6:30 to nine o'clock P.M. we were to a social out in town at Mr. Mankin's [?]. As is always the case, Miss Young was my company.


Saturday, November 30, 1912

Had a test in English history of forty-six questions. I had the Society paper to read at Society tonight.


Sunday, December 1, 1912

Reverend Knight preach[ed] a soul-feeding sermon at Union Church at eleven A.M., and at night he preached in chapel with a harvest of about twenty salvation-seeking souls. It did me great good.


Monday, December 2, 1912

I distributed new song books in upper chapel. Did a lot of reading in the library.


Tuesday, December 3, 1912

Nothing unusual.


Wednesday, December 4, 1912

Ordinary day's work. After supper I met with Beta Kappa Quartet and sang some.


Thursday, December 5, 1912

A regular spring day. We don't need any heat. The air is pure. Had an interesting Bible class tonight.


Friday, December 6, 1912

Nothing unusual.


Saturday, December 7, 1912

Had choir practice at six P.M.