The Shooting Death of John Henry Sneed, 1922

Adair County News
, June 13, 1922
Golden Bardin Shoots John Henry Sneed, Killing Him Instantly
Ending of an Old Grudge

Last Friday afternoon, just before sundown, Golden Bardin, son of Zach Bardin, shot an killed John Henry Sneed near Bliss, four miles from Columbia. As there were no eye witnesses, the particulars could not be gathered this Saturday morning.
Sneed was shot six times, all the shots entering his breast and side. Hardin came to Columbia, surrendered, and was locked in jail. Sneed lived on the farm owned by Golden Bardin's father, and he states that the trouble came up over crops. Sneed was about forty five years old and leaves a family. Hardin was married a few weeks ago. The particulars will probably be brought out in the examining trial.

Adair County News, June 20, 1922
Held Without Bond
Golden Bardin, who shot and killed John Henry Sneed at Bliss, late in the the afternoon of June 9, was given an examining trial before Judge Jeffries, last Thursday. The defense was represented by Judge W.W. Jones, J.R. Garnett and W.A. Coffey; the Commonwealth by County Attorney Gordon Montgomery and L.C. Winfrey. There were quite a number of witnesses introduced on both sides, and at the conclusion of the testimony the case was submitted, without argument.
The judge held the accused without bond and the witnesses were recognized to appear before the grand jury which will convene the first Monday in July. The courtroom was crowded during the trial, showing unusual interest.

Adair County News, July 18, 1922
(no headline)
The case of the State against Zach and Golden Bardin...was continued until the next term of circuit court...

Adair County News, November 21, 1922
Verdict for Twelve Years

Golan Bardin, charged with killing John Henry Sneed, was tried last week. The defense was represented by Judge W.W. Jones, Mr. W.A. Coffey, and Mr. J.R. Garnett, the Commonwealth by A.A. Huddleston, State's Attorney, Mr. Gordon Montgomery, and Mr. L.C. Winfrey. The case was argued for the defense by W.A. Coffey and Judge Jones; for the prosecution, by L.C. Winfrey and Mr. Huddleston.
The jury was given the case about six o'clock but a verdict was not rendered until about 11 o'clock a.m. Wednesday, Many outsiders thought that it would be a mistrial, as the jury reported once it could not agree, Judge Carter sending them back to the room. As above stated at 11 o'clock the jury filed in, giving the defendant twelve years in the penitentiary. The jury was wide apart as to length of time at the beginning and the verdict rendered was evidently brought about by compromise.