News from Adair County


The Adair County News, January 8, 1941

 Ben Jeffries Instantly Killed In Huntington Elevator Mishap


 Superintendent of Mails In Huntington Suffers Crushed Head In Tragic Post Office Accident.



 Mr. O.B. Jeffries, 59, was killed instantly last Thursday when his head was crushed between the floor of a freight elevator and girder at the Huntington, W. Va., postoffice, where he was superintendent of mails. 

The Huntington Advisor gave the following account of the accident: 

"Mr. Jeffries' head was caught between the floor of the elevator and a girder supporting the main floor of the building he had gone to the basement stock room for office supplies. 

Dr. F.X. Schuller, Cabell County coroner, said his investigation indicated death was accidental and that "evidently Mr. Jeffries had suffered a heart attack or had fainted after entering the elevator." 

Fellow employees at the post office informed Dr. Schuller that Mr. Jeffries was subject to "dizzy spells" and said he was known to have had high blood pressure. 

Dr. Schuller said Mr. Jeffries had suffered a fractured neck, a cut across the back of his head and a crushed lower jaw. 

The elevator, hydraulic powered and with a lifting power of 2,000 pounds, was jammed just below the first floor. 

The body was discovered by Wilbur C. Coslett, of 210 West Seventh avenue, employed as a fireman at the post office building. 

Mr. Coslett said neither he nor any other employee in the basement had heard anything at the time of the accident and that his first knowledge of what had happened came when he went to go to the first floor in the elevator. Mr. Coslett said he noticed a stain when he first thought was red ink on the bar which Mr. Jeffries had placed across the shaft opening when he started the elevator. Upon looking up he saw Mr. Jeffries' head pinned between the elevator and the girder and immediately summoned help.

 The only explanation that could be offered for the accident, Dr. Schuller said, was the supposition that Mr. Jeffries had fainted or collapsed after starting the elevator in motion. His head extended just far enough past the floor of the elevator to catch the girder as the elevator approached the first floor. 

Mr. Jeffries was born in Missouri but was really a native of Adair, as his parents spent only a short time in the neighboring State. He was a son of the late A.C. Jeffries and Mrs. Omeria Jeffries, who survives and lives in Center Hill, Fla. The family have long been prominent in this county and he had a wide connection here. He was educated in the schools of Adair County and Columbia and was an outstanding scholar and athlete. He taught in the schools of this county for a number of years and was said by his pupils to have been a very fine educator. He frequently visited relatives here and news of his death was a great shock to all. 

He began his career as postal employee on February 17, 1914 as a railway mail clerk and was transferred to the Huntington postoffice November 1, 1916. He was made superintendent of mails August 16, 1934. He was an active and faithful member of the Johnson Memorial Methodist Church, conducted by the pastor and Bishop U.V.W. Darlington. Interment was in Huntington. 

Mr. Jeffries is survived by his wife, Mrs. Margurerite Paull Jeffries, two daughters, Miss Pauline Jeffries and Mrs. C.H. Fabir, of Clifton Forge, Va., one granddaughter, Sandra Paul Faber ; his mother, Mrs. Omeria Jeffries; five brothers, Sam L. and Frank Jeffries, of Iowa City, Iowa, Judge C.GG. Jeffries and John Jeffries, of Columbia, and J. Beckham Jeffries, of San Diego, Calif., and the three sisters, Mrs. George Maddox and Mrs. T.H. Beacham, of Florida, and Mrs. Laura Nickels, of California.  

Adair County News, February 12, 1941



 Paul Taylor Held Without Bond For Murder of Ben Taylor Thursday Night.

 Ben Taylor, 46, Negro, died at his home in the Ozark community at 10:10 Thursday night as the result of shotgun wounds inflicted by his half-brother, Paul Taylor, 35, between 5 and 6 o'clock the same evening. The two men lived together and the shoot was said to have resulted from a quarrel over the ownership of a hog.

 Paul Taylor gave himself up to local authorities the night the tragedy occurred and is held without bond in the Adair County jail. His examining trial has been set for Saturday.

 February 26, 1941 (excerpt)


Circuit Court Convenes Monday

 Paul Taylor, Negro, will be tried for the murder of his half-brother, Ben Taylor, on February 26. Sam Russell and Wallace Jones, Negroes, held under charges of murdering Allen Johnson, Negro, in a scrape "on the Pike," November 30, will possibly be reindicted and tried at this term of court.  

March 12, 1941 (excerpt)


Court Adjourned Tuesday Night

 Adair Circuit Court adjourned last night at the conclusion of the trial of Paul Taylor, negro, charge with the murder of his half-brother. he was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and given 12 years in the penitentiary. 

Sam Jones, negro, was tried for the murder of Allen Johnson, negro, was sentenced to 21 years in the pen. The case against Wallace and Russell Jones, brothers of Sam, who were held on the same charge, was continued to the July term. 

Adair County News, September 10, 1941


Negro Cleared Of Killing Son-In-Law



"Snowball" Vaughn Said To Have Been Shot By Wes Johnson In Self Defense.

 The case against Wes Johnson, negro, of Cane Valley, charge with killing his son-in-law, Frank (Snowball) Johnson, was dismissed when the examining trial was held Tuesday morning. 

The examination disclosed that Vaughn, who was apparently drunk, followed his wife, who had been forced to leave home, to the residence of her father, Wes Johnson, at an early hour Sunday morning. Armed, he broke down a couple of doors and threatened to kill the entire household, before Johnson shot him to protect himself and other [sic] in the house.

 Adair County News, November 26, 1941


Two Adair Youths Burned To Death


 Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Bryant Escape From Burning Dwelling In Their Night Clothes.


 Buried Sunday Afternoon

Clifton Bryant, 17, and Chester Bryant, 15, were burned to death when the home of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Bryant, of near Ella, was completely destroyed by fire Saturday night. 

Mr. and Mrs. Bryant and a son, Edward Bryant, who were sleeping on the lower floor of the frame dwelling, were awakened at 9:30 by the intense heat and crackling of the flames. They found the entire structure afire and barely managed to escape in their night clothes. They could not arouse the boys, who were sleeping in the same bed upstairs even after Mr. Bryant placed a ladder under the window of their room and climbed up and broke the panes. he was forced down by the heat. 

The young men evidently suffocated before the older people awakened. The bodies were almost completely destroyed. The origin of the fire is not known. 

They are survived by two sisters, Misses Mabel Bryant, of Philadelphia, Pa., and Miss Mildred Bryant, of Ella; three brothers, Edward Bryant, of Ella, Leonard Bryant, of Neatsville, and Willie Bryant, of Nevada, and their grandmother, Mrs. Ann Bryant. 

Funeral services were held at New hope Christian Church Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Otis Wolford. Interment was in Goodin Cemetery. The pallbearers were: rev. Edgar Giles, Owen Streeval, Delmar Smith and Curtis McGaha.

Adair County News, February 25, 1942


Native Of County Killed In Wreck

 Word was received here on Sunday that Joe Bennett, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sel Bennett, had been killed in a train wreck earlier that day. Mr. Bennett was an engineer and lived in Charleston, Ill. 

The deceased had lived in Illinois for many years. He leaves a brother, Alva Bennett, of near Columbia, who left immediately accompanied by his daughter, Miss Beulah Bennett, to attend the funeral. He is also survived by a number of other brothers and sisters. 

March 4, 1942


Joseph H. Bennett Buried In Charleston


The following death notice of Joseph Henry Bennett, who was killed in a train wreck on Sunday, February 22, was taken from the Charleston Daily Courier

The body of Mr. Bennett was removed to his home, 314 Division Street, Charleston, Ill., by Fred M. Miller Monday afternoon, where friends called. The funeral services were held at the residence at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon... Burial was in Mound Cemetery. 

Joseph Henry Bennett, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Bennett, was born in Adair County, Kentucky, January 15, 1893. He engaged in railroad work, accepting employment in the engine service of the Nickel Plate in 1910, since which time he has made Charleston his home. He was married to Miss Ella Toops, of Charleston, May 16, 1928. There were no children born to their union. 

Mr. Bennett, known to his friends as "Jakey,"...had been listed as an engineer on the Nickel Plate since 1922. He was a member of the Charleston division of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and was a member of the Charleston Lodge of Masons. 

He leaves his wife and nine brothers and a sister, namely: A.D. Bennett, of Columbia, Ky.; M.H. Bennett, of Manly, Iowa; Robert Bennett, of Atlanta, Ill.; John R. Bennett, of Charleston, Ill.; J.W. Bennett, of Charleston, South Carolina; Creel Bennett, of Bardstown, Ky.; Olie Bennett, Chicago, Ill.; Buford Bennett, of Rittman, Ohio; Paul Bennett, of Bardstown, Ky, and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Basham, of Louisville, Ky.

The funeral was attended by all with the exception of M.H. Bennett and J.W. Bennett, who were unable to come. Two nieces attended the funeral, namely: Beulah Bennett and Betty Bennett.

Adair County News, March 11, 1942




 Gradyville Man Is Killed When His Car Is Hit By Train Saturday Morning.


Mr. Marion Smith, 38, of Chicago, Ill., formerly of Gradyville, was fatally injured Saturday morning at Oak Park, Ill., when the car in which he was riding was struck by a train. He died shortly after the accident of chest injuries. 

Mr. Smith left Adair County about one year ago... He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Smith, prominent Gradyville residents. 

He is survived by his wife, Mrs Stella Clark Smith; his parents, three sons, Buford, Lowell, [and] Charles Edward Smith; a small daughter, and a sister, Mrs. Emma Clark. 

The body was brought to Gradyville on Monday, where funeral services were held at the Methodist Church at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning, conducted by Rev. J.W. Rayburn. Interment was in the family cemetery.

 Adair County News, June 17, 1942




 Frightened Mule Throws Rider Whose Foot Became Entangled In Trace Chain. 


 Services Held On Sunday

 Walter Shirley, 49, well-known farmer of the Milltown section, died from shock early Saturday afternoon at the office of Dr. N.A. Mercer, where he had been taken for treatment. His death  was the result of a frightful accident which occurred shortly before noon at his home. 

Mr. Shirley was riding a mule from the fields, where he had been working preparatory to eating his mid-day meal when he stopped at a creek to let the animal drink. A breeze blew Shirley's hat from his head which caused him to throw his rider. Mr. Shirley's foot became entangled in a trace chain and he was dragged through the creek and nearby fields for a mile or more before a neighbor who witnessed the accident was able to stop the mule. 

Mr. Shirley was born and reared in the community where he lived and was a popular and respected citizen. He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Shirley. He is survived by his wife; three sons, Robert, Harry and John Mack Shirley; four daughters, Mrs. Mary Lou Pruitt, , Misses Frances, Sallie, and Bonnie Sue Shirley; three brothers, George Shirley, of Indiana, Harry and Ralph Shirley, of Adair County, and three sisters, Mrs. Bertha Montgomery, Mrs. Hattie Mitchell, of Texas, and Mrs. Polly Stults. He was a member of the Baptist Church. 

Funeral services were held at Tarter's Chapel at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. S.B. Rowe. Burial was at the Tarter's Chapel Cemetery.

Adair County News, July 15, 1942




 Hugh Alec Giles Commits Suicide By Taking Poison Before Appearing For Trial.


 Funeral Held On Friday

 Hugh Alec Giles, 62, was found dead in bed early last Thursday morning at his home in the Pellyton section by a daughter, Mrs. Joe Taylor. An inquest was held by Coroner Arbie Sparks and the verdict was death by self administered poison. 

Giles had been summoned to appear for trial in the Adair Circuit Court on Friday charged with the malicious shooting of his son, Jimmy Giles. The shooting occurred late in the winter and the boy recovered after being under treatment at the Glasgow Hospital for some time.

 The deceased is survived by eight children, two daughters, Mrs. Taylor, of Pellyton, and Mrs. Claude Beard, of Eunice, and six sons, Clyde, Charlie, and Jimmy Giles, of Pellyton, Pvt. Dewey Giles, of Ft. Knox, Vivian and Robert Giles, of Indiana. His wife [Laura B. Giles] died six months ago. 

Funeral services and burial were conducted on Friday.

 Adair County News, August 12, 1942


Jack Butler Shot By Sam Smith


Shot In Arm And Stomach, Butler Is Reported In Critical Condition At Glasgow Hospital.



 Sam smith was arrested at 8:30 Saturday night at his home in the White City section [of Columbia], charged with the shooting of jack Butler, also of this place. He was lodged in the County Jail where he is being held without bond pending the recovery or death of the wounded man. 

The arrest was made by City Policeman George Brockman and Deputies David Heskamp and E.G. Hardwick shortly after the shooting occurred. 

Butler was shot in his side and in the arm. One bullet is said to have pierced his intestines and he is reported critically ill at the Glasgow Hospital, where he was rushed for treatment. Until recently he operated a grocery store in the edge of Columbia on the Burkesville Highway.

 Smith was fined $225 and costs at the last term of the Adair Circuit Court, being convicted on four charges which included "shooting on the highway" and "resisting an officer." He was released from jail a week ago. He is also under indictment in Federal Court for violation of the liquor laws. He was released by the Federal authorities several weeks ago under $500 bond.

 August 19, 1942




 Man Shot By Sam Smith Dies At Glasgow Hospital On Friday Evening.


 Smith Held Without Bond

 Jack C. Butler, 40, died at the Community Hospital, in Glasgow, at 6 p.m. Friday as the result of a gunshot wound in the abdomen inflicted the previous Saturday night at the home of Sam Smith in the White City section of Columbia. Smith, who was charged with the shooting, is now being held in the County Jail without bond for wilful murder. 

Butler, a native of this county, is a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Butler. He is survived by his parents; wife, Mrs. Mattie Bennett Butler, and three small children, Doris and Louise Butler and Donald Butler; three sisters, Mrs. Allen Karnes and Mrs. William Page, of Adair County; and Mrs. L.G. Willis, of Akron, Ohio, and three brothers, Goebel Butler, of Akron, Owen and Oris Butler, of this county. 

Funeral services were held at 2:00 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the home of his parents, conducted by Rev. L.R. Fugit. Interment was in the Smith Cemetery. [Other records indicate he was buried in the Cane Valley Cemetery.]

 November 11, 1942 (excerpt)


Circuit Court Draws To Close


 Sam Smith Now On Trial

 The trial of Sam Smith, well known local underworld character, charged with the wilful murder of Jack Butler last August, holds the spotlight as the November term of Adair Circuit Court draws to a close. Attorneys Ralph Hurt and M. Rey Yarberry are defending Smith...

 (A followup article in the November 18 edition stated Smith was convicted on a voluntary manslaughter charged and sentenced to six years in the State penitentiary.)

 Adair County News, Janaury 6, 1943


Woman Held On Murder Charge


Dollie Estes, 28, was arrested Saturday night at Gradyville by Coroner Arbie Sparks and lodged in the County Jail where she is being held without bond charged with wilful murder and also with concealing the birth of a bastard child.

The arrest followed the discovery Saturday afternoon of the body of a baby girl buried in a shallow grave near Gradyville. The child weighed 7 pounds and was fully developed. Coroner Sparks, who ws called to investigate the matter, said that the child had been dead approximately thirty-six hours and died as the result of a crushed skull, the injury evidently being inflicted by a heavy blow.

The Estes woman, who is from Green County, had worked as a servant in the Gradyville community for several years.

Examining trial has been set for Monday.

[The examining trial was postponed until Monday, Janaury 18, at which time Dollie Estes "was held to the Grand Jury released under $200 bond which she made and was released." A followup article in the July 14, 1943 edition stated that Dollie Estes was sentenced to one year in a reformatory on the charge of concealing the birth of an infant, and that "Rendition of judgment was postponed on her good behavior."]

Adair County News, June 9, 1943


Adair Negro Killed In Accident Sunday

Sam Lee Jones, 28, negro, was killed Sunday morning when he fell thirty feet from a steel tower at the Louisville Gas and Electric Company's Beargrass Plant, on the River Road. He suffered internal injuries and a skull fracture.

He was working with a construction crew at the plant. He had been employed by the Louisville Gas and Electric Company since August.

The body was brought home and later taken to the home of his father, Arthur Jones, at Montpelier, for funeral and burial on Tuesday.

Adair County News, March 15, 1944

Cortez Sanders Killed By Plane At Staniford Field


Former Sheriff of Adair County Is Decapitated In Accident Late Yesterday.



Struck by the whirling propeller of a four-motored Liberator bomber, Cortez Sanders, 60, well-known Adair citizen, who was employed as a guard at the Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation modification plant, was killed at 7:30 o'clock Tuesday night.

Sanders was guiding the pilot of the ship, which had just landed after a test run, onto the flight apron of the airport when the accident occurred, the public relations office of the center reported.

The plane was being taxied in at an angle and at slow speed when Sanders was hit, plant officials said.

Coroner J.J. Connolly, of Louisville, said Sanders was decapitated. The coroner said a guard reported sanders walked into the blades. He gave a verdict of accidental death.

Plant officials said safety rules required that guards stay at the tip of the wing of any plane while directing it into the apron where the modification work is done.

Mr. Sanders had been employed at the Vultee plant since May, 1943. He is a former Sheriff of Adair County and was cashier of the Farmers Bank at Cane Valley for a number of years. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Bertha Sanders, Columbia; a daughter, Mrs. Dorothy Kinnaird, of Randolph, Ky., and a son, Capt. William B. Sanders, of Taft [Field], Calif.

The remains will be brought here today to the Grissom Funeral Home. Arrangements for funeral services and burial have not been completed.


March 22, 1944 (excerpt)


Cortez Sanders Buried Saturday


...Burial was in the city cemetery... Mr. Sanders was born and reared in the Joppa community of Adair County, and was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Sanders...

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Bertha Breeding Sanders; a daughter, Mrs. Dorothy Kinnaird, of Randolph, Ky.; a son, Captain William Sanders, of Taft Field, Calif.; two sisters, Miss Effie Sanders and Mrs. Patria Hammonds, of West Virginia, and three brothers, Charles Sanders of Oregon, Eldridge Sanders, of Joppa, and L.M. Sanders, of Coburg.

Captain Sanders, who was coming by plane to the funeral, was grounded in Texas on account

of bad weather and did not reach Columbia until after the funeral.

Adair County News, April 7, 1944



Parents Of Six Children Principals In Lurid Tragedy Which Took Place Thursday.

Tom B. Duncan, 61, farmer, shot his wife in the face with a shotgun and then hanged himself from a tree with his own shirt at their home between Glensfork and Crocus at an early hour Thursday morning.

Mrs. Duncan, 38, was found dead in bed by her six children when they awakened. The father's body was discovered hanging from a tree about 400 yards from the house. The fact that his hands were tied behind him at first caused some speculation concerning the lurid tragedy, but a coroner's jury, called together by coroner Paul Marshall, after an inquest decided that Duncan had murdered his wife and then committed suicide. According to reports there had been domestic trouble.

They resided on a farm owned by Raymond Duncan, of Ann Arbor, Mich., son of the dead man by a former marriage. The couple left six children: Opal, 15; Herman, 16; Veston, 14; Faye, 12; Alvin, 10, and Doris, 6.

Mrs. Duncan was the former Lillian Pearl York, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mathy York, Bryan, Russell County. Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. Friday, conducted by Rev. Buford Helm, with interment in the York family cemetery.

Duncan, who was a native of Russell County, was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Pete Duncan. His funeral and burial was held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, at Freedom Church, conducted by Rev. Carl Reese.

Adair County News, April 19, 1944



Funeral Services Held At Milltown On Monday For Victim Of Sordid Affair.



Funeral services were held at 10:00 Monday morning at the Milltown Church for Mrs. Alice Leftwich, 28, who was shot and killed at an early hour Saturday morning in a Louisville rooming house. The funeral was conducted by Rev. H.J. Conover and interment was in the Milltown Cemetery.

She is survived by a ten year old son, Cassius Leftwich, Jr.; father, William Butler, of Adair County, and three brothers, Richard Butler, of Louisville, Feese Butler, of Columbia, and Willard Butler, now in the U.S. Navy.

The following account of the slaying appeared in The Louisville Times on Saturday afternoon:

Near death at the General Hospital today, a bullet wound through his head, was Robert P. Chambers, 44, of 904 Sixth, charged with attempted suicide and the gun murder of Mrs. Alice Leftwich, 28, same address, at the rooming house last night.

"I'm glad I did it," Chambers told police before losing consciousness, but he did not disclose why he turned the .38 revolver on the dark-haired divorcee and then on himself. Both worked at the Indiana Ordnance Works, Charlestown.

When other roomers heard three shots at 9:00 p.m. Norris Buchannan, landlord, entered Mrs. Leftwich's first-floor room and found the two unclothed on the bed. The woman was shot in the chest and the right side while Chambers was wounded in the left temple, the bullet emerging at the right side of his head and burying itself in the bed's footboard.

Cassius Leftwich, Sr., the victim's former husband, said they were divorced two years ago after being married ten years. They have a son, Cassius, Jr., who lived alternately with both parents.

Leftwich said he knew his former wife had been keeping company with Chambers, who came here from Oldham County.

Adair County News, June 7, 1944




Funeral Services Held On Tuesday For Courier-Journal Carrier Slain By Customer.


Herman G. Antle, 16, a carrier for the Courier-Journal and The Louisville Times, was beaten to death Saturday night in Louisville in an argument with a customer, John Reuben Thomas, Jr., 27, over discontinuance of the customer's newspaper.

Antle was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman G. Antle, of 4903 Southern Parkway, and a grandson of the late Mr. and Mrs. U.L. Antle, of Columbia. He waw well-known here as he had been a frequent visitor in the home of his grandparents. His father is a native of Adair County.

Thomas, a sub-contractor at the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Works, is being held under $7,500 bond on a murder charge in the Jefferson County Jail.

Antle died of a cerebral hemorrhage due to blows on the head according to a coroner's verdict. The beating occurred near Thomas' home and is believed to have resulted when the youth threatened to discontinue Thomas' newspaper unless he paid his bill promptly. Witnesses said Thomas knocked Antle down with his fist and then struck him [a]gain when the boy got up. He was a junior at the Louisville Male High School and a member of the Baptist Church.

The youth is survived by his parents and one sister, Sandra Lee Antle. Funeral services were held from the residence and from Hazelwood Baptist Church at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday. Interment was in the Resthaven Cemetery.

November 15, 1944



John R. Thomas, 27, was sentenced to ten years in the penitentiary on Tuesday in Louisville for fatally beating Herman Antle, Jr. 16, Courier-Journal and Times carrier. The boy's father is a native of Adair County.

Adair County News, September 6, 1944



Charles Young, Cumberland County, Arrested For Reckless Driving And Manslaughter.

Aunt Sallie Hunter, well-known older colored woman, died en route to the Glasgow hospital late Thursday afternoon as a result of injuries received when she was struck by a car on the Burkesville Highway.

The driver of the car, Charlie Young, of Cumberland County, was arrested, charged with reckless driving and manslaughter immediately after the accident. He was released on $1,000 bond with the [examining] trial set for September 14.

Aunt Sallie was the widow of Henry Hunter, better known as "Daniel Banker," who worked as janitor at the News Office for many years. Funeral services and burial were held on Monday.

(A followup article in the March 14, 1945 edition stated "C.D. Young, Cumberland County, was assessed damage of $100.00 and costs in the death of Sallie Cooper, of color, who was fatally injured when struck by the car of Young last fall.")

Adair County News, September 20, 1944



Son Of Daniel Isaac McQueary Meets Death While Squirrel Hunting Saturday Afternoon.

Clifford Isaac McQueary, 14 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Isaac McQueary, of Ella, was instantly killed late Saturday afternoon when was accidentally shot in the back of the head by a companion, Alvin Stargel.

The two boys had been squirrel hunting and were returning home through some woods near Webb's Cross Roads when the fatal accident occurred. According to information received here, the Stargel boy was following McQueary when his shotgun ws accidentally discharged, the full load of shot entering the back of his companion's head when they were only a few feet apart.

McQueary is survived by his parents, four sisters, Mrs. Cecil Nall, of Pensacola, Fla.; Misses Imogene, Margaret and Vada McQueary, and four brothers, J.W., Robert, Joseph and David McQueary.

Funeral services were held at the New Hope Church at 4:00 Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Willie Patton. Interment was in the New Hope Cemetery.

Adair County News, Janaury 31, 1945

George B. Yates Killed In Crash


Funeral services Were Held At The Bullittsburg Baptist Church.

Mr. George B. Yates, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. G.B. Yates, of Burlington, Boone County, Ky., and husband of Mary Christine Yates, of Springfield, Mo., was killed in an airplane crash January 11, near Springfield, Mo.

Mr. Yates owned the airfield at Porterville, Mo., and was a flying instructor. A flying student was in the plane with Yates when the crash occurred which was fatal to both of them.

Mr. Yates was born near Columbia, Ky., but moved with his family to Boone County when he was five years old. He graduated from Georgetown College, did graduate work at the University of Illinois and post graduate work at the University of Minnesota. He was a member of the Baptist Church and was a leader in all the Young Peoples Organizations.

He is survived by his wife, parents, Mr. G.B. Yates and Margaret Holladay Yates,  and [a] sister, Miss Mary Yates, who is with the WAVES in San Francisco.

He taught Physics at Drury College [Springfield, Missouri] from June, 1941 to June 1944.

He is a nephew of Mrs. E.G. Flowers and Mrs. Maggie Nell and a great nephew of T.E. Waggener.

Mrs. Flowers and a daughter, Miss Elizabeth Flowers, attended the funeral services, which were held in the Bullittsburg Baptist Church Janaury 15. Burial was in the Bullittsburg Cemetery. [This possibly was the Bullittsburg Baptist Church and cemetery in Boone County  KY.]

Adair County News, August 15, 1945




Man Injured In Accident At Local Stave Mill Dies In Glasgow Hospital.

William Henry Crawhorn, 25 years old, died at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday at the Glasgow Hospital where he had been a patient since Wednesday.

Death was the result of internal injuries suffered when he was struck in the abdomen by a piece of wood in an accident at Gilbert Hill's Stave Mill.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ovalene Mann Crawhorn; father, Harrison Crawhorn, and two children, Billy and Opal Crawhorn. He was a member of the Baptist Church.

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the residence, conducted by Rev. Houston Lanier. Interment was in the City Cemetery.

Adair County News, September 12, 1945

Columbia Woman Killed By Train

Funeral services for Mrs. Dorothy Pearl Loy, 23, who was killed when struck by a train in Hansdale, Ill., on Friday, were held at the Columbia Methodist Church at 2:30 p.m. Monday, conducted by the pastor, Rev. John W. Lewis. Interment was in the City cemetery...

Mrs. Loy, wife of Alfred Loy, of this city, and daughter-in-law of Noah Loy, former superintendent of the Adair County Schools, met her death while visiting friends in Hansdale. They had been there only a few days when the tragic accident occurred.  The body was brought to Columbia on Sunday.

She was born and reared in Russell County and ws the daughter of the late Wallace and Bertha Walters Franklin. She was a member of the Methodist Church.

Surviving are her husband; three small children, Mary Elizabeth, Dorothy Marie and Robert Garnett Loy; two sisters, Mrs. Virginia Janes, of Columbia, and Miss Betty Jean Franklin, of Chicago, and four brothers, Leonard, Ralph, and Robert Franklin and Wallace Franklin, Jr.

(A brief article in another paper stated Mrs. Loy was struck by a train.)

The Adair County News, August 14, 1946

Adair Sailor Found Dead


Funeral Services Held Monday Afternoon At Tabor Church For Buel H. Frankum.

Funeral services for Buel H. Frankum, 22, Coxwain in the U.S. Navy, were held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Tabor Church, conducted by Rev. Clifford Spurlock. Interment was in the Loy Cemetery.

Frankum, who had served in the Navy for three and one-half years, was found dead of a bullet wound aboard the station ship, Reina Mercedes, which housed enlisted personnel at Annapolis, Md., on Thursday, August 8. Circumstances regarding his death will not be made public until findings of a board of investigation, which met at the Naval Academy immediately after his death, are reviewed by the Navy Department.

He recently visited his family while on leave after reenlisting in the Navy.

He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Mary Ethel Frankum, of Gadberry; five brothers, Paul, Oris, Delphus, and Elbert Frankum, and three sisters, Misses Doris, Helen and Ethel Lena Frankum...

Adair County News, October 30, 1946

Carbon Monoxide Gas Kills Child

Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Brockman, their three year old daughter, and a niece, Gladys Rooks, of Indianapolis, were found overcome by carbon monoxide gas in a parked car 2 miles from Greensburg on the Hodgensville Highway early Saturday morning.

The family was en route to Adair County to visit his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Brockman, having left Indianapolis Friday night. When revived Brockman said that he parked on the side of the highway at 4:00 a.m. on account of dense fog which made further driving dangerous. He left the motor running in order to warm the interior of the car.

When daylight came a farmer living nearby and a passing motorist found the four unconscious and summoned aid. They were taken to Greensburg and later to Columbia after Chief of Police George Brockman, an uncle of Forrest Brockman, was notified. All were revived and are now improving but the Brockman's little daughter, who was taken to the Community Hospital, in Glasgow, where she died Saturday night of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Funeral services were held at 2:30 Monday afternoon at Free Union, conducted by Rev. Otis Wolford. Burial was in the Free Union Cemetery.

[Curiously, no death certificate was issued. An entry in Cemeteries of Adair County, Kentucky, Volume Three, page 18 (Free Union Cemetery), provides this information: Mildred Brockman 2-29-1944 - 10-26-1946.] 

Adair County News, February 5, 1947

Adair County Boy Missing


High School Student Left School At Noon Jan. 30, And As Yet Has Not Been Located.

Norman Aaron, 16 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Aaron, of Glensfork, and a member of the Junior Class at the Columbia High School, disappeared on Thursday of last week and no word of his whereabouts has been received yet by any member of the family or friends.

The youth, said by his companions to be quiet and well-liked, attended school Thursday morning and contrary to his usual custom of lunching at the school building is reported as having gone to town. Hi failed to return for afternoon classes and when his brother, Alfred Aaron, also a high school student, and others living in the Glensfork section, left for home late in the afternoon, Norman could not be found. Up until the present time his disappearance is entirely unexplained.

He was not seen leaving Columbia and reports from all bus drivers indicate that he did not depart by bus.

His parents contracted local authorities for aid in helping locate the youth and word of his mysterious disappearance was sent to all surrounding towns and cities. It has also been broadcast from a Louisville radio station.

Mrs. Aaron said that an investigation of her son's clothing revealed he must have been wearing two shirts and two pairs of pants when he left home on the morning of January 30. The parents also said he had only a small amount of money in his possession. 


February 12, 1947

Missing Youth Found In Northern Illinois

Adair County officers were notified Thursday that Norman Aaron, Columbia High School Junior, who had been missing for ten days, had been located in Waukegan, Ill., a town north of Chicago.  

The youth's father, Ed Aaron, of Glensfork, left immediately for Waukegan and returned here with his son Saturday. Norman returned to school on Monday.  

Adair County News, March 3, 1948

Cane Valley Man Accidentally Killed At Trapshoot Saturday



Funeral Services and Burial Held Monday Afternoon At Cane Valley Christian Church.


Elza Hare, 33, respected young business man of Cane Valley, was killed at a trapshoot near his home at 3:00 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  

Hare was shot in the chest and died instantly when a gun in the hands of R.T. Cave, of the Mt. Carmel section, was accidentally discharged while being unloaded.

The deceased was a son of the late James T. and Fibbie Massie Hare. He was a member of the Cane Valley Christian Church and popular young man, whose death is felt as a loss to the county. He was a veteran of World War Two, having served in the Armed Forces for 27 months.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Myrtle Watson Hare; two small daughters, Janice Rose, 5, and Brenda Fay, 1; a sister, Mrs. Delma Noe, and four brothers, Cleve, Lacy, Russell and Harlan Hare. 

Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. Monday at the Cane Valley Christian Church, conducted by Rev. H.J. Conover, assisted by Rev. C.H. Pittman. 

The pallbearers were Dave Smith, Willis Smith, Nathan Hopkins, Herman Wesley, Albert Woodrum and Henry J. Cundiff.


Adair County News, March 23, 1949




Body of Ned Patton, Who Is Said To Have Drowned Saturday Night, Is Still Missing.

 Groups of men have been dragging Russell Creek for three days searching for the body of Ned Patton, 24, who is supposed to have drowned Saturday night near the Bailey Bridge* on Highway 55 in the edge of Columbia. As yet the body has not been found and no coherent story as to how Patton happened to be in the water has been told though authorities have interviewed more than 50 people while investigating the matter. 

Ted Harper, local barber, reported that he heard someone groaning as if in pain as he neared Russell Creek about 9:30 Saturday night when returning to his home in Russell Heights. Investigating the sounds he said he discovered Fred Patton, twin brother of the missing man, running along the creek bank. When questioned he told Harper his brother was in the water and he was trying to rescue him. A passing motorist summoned local officers but sounds from the water ceased before they arrived and the man could not be located.

Patton was employed by the Henry Sandusky Mill. Besides his twin brother he has a mother and several brothers and sisters, who live here. 

A large sum of money is being made up among local business men for a reward to the person who finds the body of the missing man. 

(* A temporary bridge across Russell Creek on Highway 55 just north of the Public Square.)


March 30, 1949




Funeral Services And Burial For Russell Creek Victim Held Friday In Casey County

The body of Ned West Patton, 24, who drowned in Russell Creek Sunday night, March 20, was recovered Wednesday afternoon [March 23.] Patton's body was found just below what is known as Big Rock Hole about one-half mile down stream from where he was last seen near the bridge on Highway 55 in the edge of Columbia.

A search for the body had been under way since 10:00 Saturday night nigh when it was discovered by W.B. Gilbert, Cordell Ford, Lozier Bernard and James Hare. The four received a reward of $125 made up by Columbia business men, part of which they returned to the family of the deceased man to aid with funeral expenses.

As local authorities have been unable to ascertain how Patton drowned, in spite of the fact that they made a thorough investigation, Coroner Paul Marshall requested that an autopsy be performed. This was done by Dr. N. Allan Mercer and Dr. James Salato, who reported that they found no indication of foul play and said Patton died of drowning. 

Patton,  a native of Casey County, had lived here for several years and was employed as a truck driver at the Henry Sandusky Mill. He was a son of Mrs. Sarah Jane Patton, who resides in Columbia, and the late Robert Patton. 

He is survived by his mother; five brothers, Fred and Addison Patton, of Columbia, Frank Patton, of Columbus, Ind., Jack Patton, of Goodin's Cross Roads, and John Patton, of Edmonton, and four sisters, Misses Eva and Minnie Bell Patton and Mrs. Dora Cowan, of Columbia, and Mrs. Mabel Scott, of Louisville. 

Funeral services were held Friday morning at the Salem Baptist Church at Rheber, Casey County, conducted by Rev. Otis Upchurch. Interment was in the Salem Cemetery.

The pallbearers were: Dallas Pickett, Charlie Janes, Goeble Robinson, James Satterfield, David E. Burris and Will Grider.