Gallatin Co., KY; Died March 30, 1921 in Carroll Co., KY
was elected Mayor of the town of Carrollton, Kentucky January 1894 to
Orville Monroe Wood, Mayor of Carrollton and the leading merchant in
that city, son of William Wood and Mary S. Anderson, was born in
Gallatin County, Kentucky, July 3, 1852.
His father, now a resident of Carroll County, is a native of Mercer
County, Kentucky; removed to Gallatin County in 1845, and thence to
Trimble County in 1859 and finally to his present home in Carroll County
in 1892. He has been actively engaged in farming nearly all his life;
has been a member of the Baptist Church for over fifty years and has
always enjoyed the respect and confidence of his neighbors.
David Wood (grandfather) a native of Virginia of English descent, spent
most of his seventy-five years of his useful life in farming and was a
resident of Carroll County for twenty years prior to his death. He was a
devout member of the Baptist Church and was noted for his devotion to
Mary S. Anderson Wood (mother), now residing with her husband in Carroll
County, was born in Gallatin County in 1829. Her father, Richard
Anderson, was a native of Virginia, who came to Kentucky when he was a
young man and died in Carroll County in 1885, aged seventy-seven years.
He was an intelligent farmer and like the Woods he and his house
belonged to the Baptist Church. His son, Rev. James O. Anderson, who
died a few years ago in Kansas City, was one of the most eminent divines
in that denomination. The Andersons belonged to an old family of
prominence of Virginia.
Orville M. Wood was reared and educated principally in Trimble County,
remaining on his father's farm until 1879, when he engaged in the
mercantile business in Trimble County, continuing there, however, but
one year when he removed to Prestonville, Carroll County, where he was
engaged as a merchant until 1891, sold out and removed to Carrollton,
and in 1891 formed a partnership with M. L. Downs under the firm name of
Downs & Wood--in a general fire insurance agency. This firm was
dissolved in November 1891, when Mr. Wood purchased the store of W. L.
Smith, who was the oldest merchant in the place since which time he has
given his attention to the business of this establishment, now the
leading store of the kind in Carrollton.
In November, 1893, Mr. Wood was elected Mayor of the city for a term of
four years and assumed the duties of that office in January, 1894. This
election was a deserved compliment to Mr. Wood's ability and integrity
as a business man rather than a political triumph, for he has not sought
or cared for prominence in politics.
He is a prominent Mason and a Knight of Pythias, and has not forsaken
the church of his father and mother and his grandfathers.
Mr. Wood was married February 3, 1873 to Esther J. Robinson, daughter of
Samuel Robinson of Wetzel County, West Virginia and has one son, named
Gideon G. Wood. (Note: Article apparently was written after January,
1894 when Orville took office as Mayor and before the 1897 deaths of
William (father) and Mary Wood (mother). Both died in July 1897--William
on July 23 at age 74 and Mary on July 18 at age 67.)
wife, Esther are buried in the I.O.O.F. cemetery, Carrollton, Kentucky