Carroll County Cities & Towns

 

Transcribed from the 1876-77 & 1881-82 Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory

Reynolds Historical Genealogy Collection

Allen County Public Library, 900 Webster Street, Fort Wayne, IN 46801

Published by R. L. Polk & Co. and A. C. Danser

CARROLLTON
 
Located on the south bank of the Ohio river, at its confluence with the Kentucky. 62 miles northeast of Louisville. This town is the county-seat 
of Carroll county,  is incorporated, and has a population of 1,000. The place was originally settled in 1794, when it was known as Port William, 
which was changed, in 1837, to its  present name. Its shipping point, by rail, is English, 5 miles south-east on the L., C.& L. R'y. Carrollton is an 
enterprising and prosperous city, and contains 7 church edifices, representing the Baptist, Presbyterian. Methodist, Methodist Episcopal, Christian, 
and Catholic sects, a seminary, and Catholic high-school, a good weekly newspaper, a woolen-mill, and several other mills, which all use steam power,
and a bank. The assessed value on real and personal property in the city, is $500,000, and the town has no bonded indebtedness. The exports of the place 
comprise hay, corn, tobacco, and live stock, the nature of the land in the vicinity is rolling prairie and unimproved timberó the latter valued at an average price 
of $25, while cleared farms are worth from $40 to $100 per acre. The city is lighted with gas, and altogether, presents an elegant appearance. Stage 
communication with Northville twice a day {fare $l). Express Adams. Telephone connects the city with W. U. Telegraph company at Northville. Mail daily. 
John T. Lewis, postmaster. 
 

Anderson George W. Jr., livery

Anderson George W. Sr., grocer

Argus Otto F., barber and news agent

Baker Ginn & Co., saw and planing mill

Barker M. I., leaf tobacco

Bassett Rev Miles (Methodist)

Berg Charles, jewelry

Bittel Philip, saloon

Bleassing John J., meat market

Bosworth & Lewis, grocers and agr imps.

Butler William O., druggist

Carroll Seminary, Dr. E. N. Elliot, prin.

Carrollton Democrat, Gullion & Vallandingham, editors and publishers.

Carrollton House, Mrs. H. R. Wolfe, propr.

Corn William, proprietor National Hotel & grocer

Cox Hezekiah, lawyer and real estate

Darling Andres W., Proprietor Old Darling Distillery

Donaldson Joseph A., lawyer

Downing James & Co., grocers

Elder William, blacksmith

Elliot Dr. E. N., prin. Carroll Seminary

Fisher James T., millinery and notions

Fisher John T. & Co., druggists

Fisher Wm M., county judge and attíy

Floore Dallas A., dentist

Flynt Martin D., saddles and harness

Gardner Wm., saloon

Geier M. A. & Co., druggists

Glauber John, boots, shoes and sewing machines

Goslee Levin, physician

Grobmeyer John H., clothing

Grobmeyer J. E. & H. C., propís US Mail and stage line and Fifth St. livery

Grobmeyer & McCrackin, groc and saloon

Gulde Albert, dry goods and notions

Gullion Wyant O., clerk of circuit court

Gullion & Vallandingham, publishers Carrollton Democrat

Hafford & Son (Ebenezer Hafford & Wm. M. Hafford) saw and planning mill and lumber dealers

Halmess Herman B., blacksmith and wagon maker

Hanks & Co., clothing and dry goods

Harrison Richard F., clerk county court

Hart Louis A., baker

Helm Rev. Benjamin (Presbyterian)

Houghton Mrs. J. M., prop. Point House

Howe John & J. B., clothing

Howe John & W. F. & Co., woolen mills

Howe John & Sons, bankers

Howe W. F., county treas. Carroll Co.

Humphrey Henderson, grocer

Jones Henry C., barber

Karins Hugh, marble

Leep A. T. & Bro., grocers

Lewis John T., postmaster & ins. Agent

Lindsay James H., sheriff of Carroll Co.

Logeman & Drees, blacksmiths

McCrackin Thomas, saloon

NcElrath Thomas J., lawyer

Mason Daniel M., boots & shoes

Masterson & Gaunt, lawyers

Moorman Mrs. Kate, saloon

Myers & Robinson, saloon

National Hotel, Wm Corn, Propír, near steamboat landing

Reeves Rev. John (Methodist)

St. Johnís Academy & Day School, conducted by the Sisters of Notre Dame, Rev Stephen Schmid, Principal

Salyers Charles D., stoves and tinware

Seppenfield Herman, grocer and meats

Sheppard Wm, blacksmith

Siersdorfer Michael, boots and shoes

Smith Miss Lucia, millinery

Smith Wm L., general store

Stairs & Tromma, proprs. Carrollton flouring mills (corn & wheat)

Stringfellow & Kipping, cabinet makers

Taylor Leonard W., physician

Taylor Leonard X., physician

Webster Joshua C., grocery & hardware

Wilkins David O., blacksmith

Williams Robert T., flouring mill

Winslow W. B., H. M. & J. T., lawyers

Wolfe Mrs. H. R., propr. Carrollton House
EAGLE STATION

A station on the Louisville, Cincinnati & Lexington R.R., 58 miles from Louisville. It is situated on Eagle creek, in the eastern part of Carroll county, and is 10 miles from Carrollton, the county seat. It was first settled 6 years ago, and numbers about 60 inhabitants. Express, Adams. Daily mail. W.R. Duvall, postmaster.

Duvall & Bro., General Store.
Johnston, Thomas, railroad and express agents.
McDormet, J., druggist.
Nichols, Thomas, physician.
Olkin, J.R., physician.
Sams & Roberts, general store.
Sheets, Lewis, hotel.

 

 

 
 

 
 
GHENT
 
An incorporated town of 500 inhabitants, Ľ rid a landing on the Ohio river, in Carroll county, 9 miles from its shipping point. Liberty, on the L., C.& L. 
R. R., and 75 from Louisville. Here one steam flour-mill, 3 churches, and 1 college. Daily stage to Liberty, fare $1. Adams Express. Daily mail. Wm. Howard, 
postmaster. 
 
Brown N C, physician. 
 
Crutcher & Bryant, carriage-makers. 
 
Duncan C. S., flour-mill. 
 
Gains F H physician. 
 
Howard H C, saw-mill and undertaker. 
 
Howard Samuel, physician
Howard Wm., general store
 
Lester & Craig, boot and shoe mfrs. 
 
Stevenson J H, general store
 
Tandy J B & Son, general store 
 
Tandy J Q & W H, general store
 
Whitehead Wm, druggist.
 

 

LIBERTY STATION

On the L. C&L Ríy in Carroll county, 18 miles from Carrollton, the county seat. Also known as Bramlett. The village contains 200 inhabitants, Express Adams.  First settled in 1869, incorporated in 1871, and has a population of 150. It contains a grist mill, run by water power, Baptist church, and common school. Tobacco, hogs, and corn are its principal shipments. Stage to Ghent and New Liberty. Express, Adams. Daily mail. J. T. Ralston, postmaster and general store.

Allen, Rev. H. B. (Baptist)
Bradley, A. B., flouring mill.
Brown, N.C., physician.
Davis, W. I. blacksmith.
Ellis, J. S., police magistrate.
Gatewood, James L., druggist and examiner in Circuit Court.
Holliday, Owen P., tinsmith.
Knox & Rodgers, gunsmiths.
Liberty Springs Hotel, S. Whitaker, proprietor.
McCann, Wm. L., druggist.
McDonald, James R., general store.
Montfort, Warren, attorney.

Pearson, J. H., civil engineer.
Ralston, J. T., general store.
Ralston, W., carpenter.
Rodgers, B., general store.
Sanders, Larkin F., lawyer.
Shotwell, D. M. & Son, meat market.
Sullivan, Woodson J. & Co., marshal and blacksmith.
Whitaker, Shuck, Propr. Liberty Springs Hotel.
Williams, James W., wagon maker and blacksmith.
Williams, Orville, station and express agent.
Williams, Wm. B., general store.

 


LOCUST

Located in Carroll county, 6 miles west of Carrollton, the county seat, at the fork of Locust creek. from whence it receives mail by special supply.  Mail for this place is received at Carrollton.

Ginn, James G., general store

 

PRESTONVILLE

A village containing about 300 inhabitants, settled in 1800, incorporated in 1872, and situated on the Ohio and Kentucky rivers, in the northern part of Carroll county, on the opposite bank of the Kentucky river from Carrollton, the county seat, of which it may be called a suburb, and where it receives mail, the postoffice which was here formerly having been discontinued. It is nine miles from Worthville, its nearest shipping point by rail, and 62 from Louisville. Hogs, tobacco, cattle and whisky are the principal exports. The nearest stage line is from Carrollton to Worthville.

Bell, W. C. & Co., grocers

Bradshears, Charles L., general store.

Collyer & Bro., grocers.

Darling, Andrew W., distillery and flouring mill.

Darling, W. C. & Co., General Store

Ellson, Bland B., justice of the peace.

Hafford, E., steam sawmill.

Krutzer, Harman, blacksmith

Nye, B.A., town marshal.

Nye, Stephen H., hotel and saloon

Rutherford, W. C., Blacksmith

Smith, Elias H., hotel and bowling alley

 


SANDERS

Known as Liberty Station. Is a town on the L., C. & L. R.R., of about 300 people, situated in the southwestern portion of the county, and is the largest town in the famous "Eagle Valley." It is connected with the county of Owen by a good turnpike road and a splendid bridge. It has been but recently laid out, and gives strong evidence of being, at no distant day, the rival of much older places. It has mineral springs, the waters of which, for healing diseases, are not excelled by any in the State, and has a large hotel, under the management of Col. E.D., Whittaker.


WORTHVILLE

A station on the L., C & L. R.R. and the point where the railroad crosses the Kentucky river.  All trains stop at this place, it being the principal water station on the road.  Most of the railroad business of Carrollton is done here; depot, telegraph, and hotel accommodations are good.  An omnibus from Carrollton connects with trains at this point.

Scott, W. E. & Co., General Store.

 

 

Other Towns and Cities in Carroll County