"sketch" of Middlesburg, Casey Co., Ky., appeared in the June 29, 1904
Adair County News.
A small village of about 400 inhabitants is situated near the source of
Green river, on the break between the bluegrass and mountain region of
Kentucky. This location has a special geological, psychological and
historical value. It has a beautiful and healthful location. It is near
the region where the first pioneers immerged into the forest to wrestle
their homes from the wild animals and savage indians. Here the
inhabitants can breathe the pure and refreshing air from the mountains,
drink the health giving draughts of her beautiful springs and receive
the inspiration of wild supernatural and historical sceneries, diffusive
in all its grand panoramic beauty.
No higher or better testimony the conspicuous character of the people
can be given than the fact that all the saloons have been expurgated.
The people of Middlesburg are moral and religious and belong to the
yeomanry of "the corn cracker State." ["Corn-cracker state" was a
sobriquet for Kentucky.]
Three large churches, able ministers in each, and well-organized
The town is easily approachable from many of the counties having
railroad facilities and has daily intercourses by hack with McKinney [in
Lincoln Co.], its nearest railroad station.
The cemetery is one of the most convenient and beautiful ones in the
Middleburg Normal College, is an elegant brick building, two stories
high, situated on an elevation overlooking the town, and is one of the
most beautiful and commodious school buildings in the State. Prof. J.S.
Lawhorn, the great educator of Paris, is principal of the college.