Clinton County 50-Year Timeline
From THE ALBANY-CLINTON COUNTY SESQUICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION, 1836-1986, published in the Mountain Echo and transcribed and submitted by Lisa Haug.
1936 - Clinton County 100 years old April 1.
1937 - KY. Hwy. 35 surfaced from Albany to Rowens.
1938 - W. C. Farmer begins second term as State Senator.
1939 - REA building electric lines into the county.
1940 - County population 10,279; Selective Service Act passed, registration 18-36.
1941 - World War II begins; draft extended 18-45.
1942 - Federal survey for atomic plant in Duvall Valley; Albany Lions Club organized; Maple Hill Hospital opened.
1943 - Rationing of food, gas and shoe continues.
1944 - Desda Oil Refinery reopens, co-owner Clarence L. Bell, first editor of The New Era.
1945 - World War II ends; Albany Younger Woman’s Club organized.
1946 - Wisdom Fishing Camp opened on Dale Hollow Lake.
1947 - Work Resumes on Wolf Creek Dam.
1948 - Wolf River Dock opened; Roadside Park opened.
1949 - Clinton County News founded; Bond of $80,000 voted for hospital.
1950 - Clinton County population 10,605; Wolf Creek Dam completed.
1951 - Dedication of the bridge over Cumberland River at Burkesville; dedication of Roadside Park by Gov. Lawrence Wetherby.
1952 - Edd Warinner’s first term as State Senator.
1953 - Clinton County War Memorial Hospital opened.
1954 - Indian Creek Lodge opened at Grider Hill Dock; desegregation of schools.
1955 - Bookmobile with Eloise Smith, driver.
1956 - Albany post office moved to Smith building on Washington Street.
1957 - New Masonic Lodge Building dedicated.
1958 - WANY, first radio station.
1959 - Albany Younger Women’s Club built two tennis courts in West Albany.
1960 - Clinton County population 8,886; Irwin Elementary School opened.
1961 - Albany First Baptist Education Building.
1962 - Albany Elementary School opened.
1963 - Bible reading in schools declared invalid by the Supreme Court.
1964 - Land purchased for Albany’s first housing project.
1965 - Memorial Hill Cemetery established.
1966 - Open House at housing project.
1967 - Repair work at Wolf Creek Dam.
1968 - Citizens Bank moved to new building on Cumberland Street; land purchased for fairgrounds.
1969 - Vocational School opened; country club opens.
1970 - Clinton County population 8,174; James A. Hicks State Senator.
1971 - Wolf Creek Feeder Cal Sales marks 20th anniversary; new Clinton County High School opens.
1972 - Albany First Baptist builds sanctuary; Issac Denton Memorial Chapel dedicated.
1973 - Albany United Methodist moved into the new church building; Dr. William C. Powell opens medical practice.
1974 - April tornado; Ky. Bicentennial celebrated; time capsule from the cornerstone of Methodist Church opened; Bald Rock Sand Mine opens.
1975 - New Highway Church of the Nazarene dedicated; new Mt. Union Christian Church dedicated; for second year “Lighthouse in the Wilderness” was presented by Clear Fork Baptist Church; county jail opened.
1976 - Celebration of U.S. 200th birthday: New Hwy. 90 was opened.
1977 - N. L. Morgan completed 18 years as mayor of Albany; post office moved to Cross Street.
1978 - Retirement system established for county employees; grant for Clinton County DES.
1979 - Community Center opened.
1980 - Clinton County population 9,058; first Foothills Festival; Golden Harvest Village opened; courthouse burned Aug 2.
1981 - Glynn Mann removed charred remains of courthouse.
1982 - Redbud Festival April 16-18; Albany Manor opened in May.
1983 - Dedication of courthouse and veteran’s monument.
1984 - Dr. F. B. Hay retired after 40+ years of practice; Dr. E. A. Barnes semi-retired after 52 years of practice; open house at hospital to view Phase I renovation; Albany post office promoted to first class; Dr. Michael Cummings opens medical practice.
1985 - Dr. James E. Caver appointed Superintendent of Schools; Albany Christian Church celebrates 150 years.
1986 - WSBI radio station went on air in April; old high school building torn down; Lake Reporter, founded by L. W. Hatfield, Brian Thompson and Jim DeForest, published; New Mountain Echo, founded by Jim DeForest, Brian Thompson, L. W. Hatfield, Jerry Perdue, Tom Allen and Lisa A. Beaty, published; Clinton County celebrates its 150th birthday.