Odds & Ends
Indian Mound was found on farm of W.F. Owsley.
John ALEXANDER came from Virginia in
James BAKER came from Virginia in about 1818.
Bakerton named in honor of Joseph BAKER.
COE family and slaves came from North
First free school at Bow in 1849, taught
by Reuben HICKS, whose father came from Virginia in 1820.
Squire Bobbie READ sold Cumberland County oil as
a medicinal oil throughout the U.S. after it was discovered in 1830.
Burkesville population in 1846 was 350.
Dr. Joel OWSLEY, came to Cumberland County in
1811. A physician, he also preached the Christian Church doctrine prior to
Fayette Wood ALEXANDER was born in Virginia and
came to Burkesville in 1824. Established first bank in 1858 with partner W.F.
Granville BOWMAN brought thoroughbred horses
with him from Chesterfield County, Virginia.
Reuben HICKS was born in Powhatan County,
from Burkesville News Paper Cary Weekly 1917 and
Awakening of Cumberland County by Ernest M. Lawson
An air mail route
An ice factory
A new county jail
A National Bank
Another telephone System
More tobacco barns
A few More stores
Less hot air
A new wharf depot
Cumberland river canalized
Four pikes leading from town
A permanent photographer
An oil boom
Fewer rogues and thieves
More Christian people
Another school fair
More plain country people
More to eat
Fewer collars, cuffs and neckties
More gardens, hoes and rakes
Fewer Loafers and less genuine cussedness
Hurrah for Burkesville! She's a coming!
History of Cumberland County
(taken from excepts of History of Cumberland County by J.W. Wells)
Settlement of Kentucky
Although white people, mostly Scots-Irish and German were in Kentucky as
early as 1674, Kentucky did not become a recognizable governmental
landscape until after the Revolutionary War. At the close of that war,
some 30,000 souls made their home in Kentucky. On December 31, 1776 the
Virginia Legistlature organized Kentucky as the Kentucky County of
Virginia, which it remained until 1780 when it was divided into three
counties: Jefferson, Fayette, and Lincoln. Before its admission as a
state on June 1, 1792, six more counties were named.
The Long Hunters Some of the first visitors to Kentucky, in about 1770,
were the Long Hunters, so named because their hunting expeditions into
the wilderness of Kentucky that often took a year or more. The known
names of these hunters were: James Knox, Richard Knox, William Allen,
Josiah Drake, Obadiah Terrell, John Rains, Uriah Stone, Henry Smith,
Edward Cowan, Christopher Stoph, Humphrey Hogan, Cassius Brooks, Robert
Crocket, James Graham, John Montgomery, Abraham Bledsoe, Richard and
Henry Skaggs, David Linch, Kasper Mansco, Billy Russell, Joshua Horton,
William Baker and two men named Hughs. While not all of the Long Hunters
came to Cumberland County, many of them did and their descendants have
made their home here for generations.
Daniel Boone and his brother explored Kentucky from July of 1770 to
March of 1771 and Daniel later brought his family here to live. J.W.
Wells, in his History of Cumberland County, states,"In the northern part
of the present territory of Cumberland County, on Buck Branch, now owned
by L.C. Allen, near a small sulphur spring, he carved his name and date
on a slate rock, to wit.: 'D.BOON 1771' noting that Boone was one of the
first white men in the area."
First Land Titles The first title to the land of Cumberland County
within its present limits was given by the Iroquois Indians and signed
at Ft. Stanwix, New York in 1768. A second was signed by the Cherokee on
March 17, 1775 to Col. Richard Henderson of North Carolina, at Sycamore
Shoals for "a satisfactory consideration of merchandise."
Confusion Over Titles In the dim period between 1763 when the State of
Virginia enacted the Military Bounty Warrant Law,forty cents per acre,
few records remain. Due to laxity in recording the land ownership, over
3,000 land controversies were settled in 1779 in the state. One of those
land controversies during this time period whose dispute was lost was
that of Daniel Boone, who then moved his family on to Missouri. The two
Commissioners for Cumberland and adjoining territory in 1782 were Nathan
Montgomery and William Casey.
CUMBERLAND COUNTY was organized in 1798 when it became Kentucky's
thirty-second county. At the time it was a very large county
encompassing what are now parts of Metcalfe, Monroe, Russell, Wayne and
Clinton Counties. The Walker line further confused things, as some farms
which were believed to have been located in Kentucky actually ended up
in Tennessee. Cumberland County received its name from the Cumberland
River which flows through the county from end to end.
War of 1812 Kentucky, and particularly Cumberland County, were well
represented in the War of 1812 and the Battle of New Orleans as the
Kentucky and Tennessee riflemen were known for their marksmanship and
tenacity. During America's stand on the river Raisin, just south of
Detroit, January 8, 1815 Cumberland Countians played their biggest role.
Fifty-nine names of settlers in Cumberland County are known to have
played a part, mostly under David McNair.
During the Civil War, Cumberland County men were taken up into the 5th
Kentucky Cavalry USA and CSA, 3rd Regiment Kentucky Volunteer Infantry
USA, 15th Volunteer Infantry USA, and Home Guards, as well as other
units. Col. David R. Haggard who organized the 5th Kentucky Cavalry USA,
was from Burkesville, KY, the Cumberland County seat, and was joined by
nearly 789 fellow Cumberland Countians. Some were lost in skirmishes and
battles at Burkesville, Gallatin, Monroe Cross Roads, North Carolina,
Adairville, Millers Grove, and Sweet Water, Georgia.
From Wells':"The 3rd Regiment Kentucky Volunteer Infantry was organized
at Camp Dick Robinson in October, 1861. Its first line of march was from
camp to Lexington, Camp Dick Robinson, Rock Castle, Crab Orchard,
Somerset, Wayne County, Pulaski, and on November 19 to Columbia, where
sickness and death of many of the soldiers held it there until January
7, 1862, when the ablest ones marched to the mouth of Renox Creek near
Burkesville, Cumberland County. There they camped until January 16, '62,
when the 300 men marched to Russell County, trebling their strength,
embarked on a steamboat for Nashville, Tennessee. During the four years
of war this regiment covered most of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia,
engaging in 22 of the heaviest battles of the Civil War."
The 16th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry wintered in southern Kentucky in
1862. At that time Cumberland County was overrun by guerrillas from
Tennessee. At Marrowbone, the 16th engaged the guerrillas.
Tom Keeton of the Home Guard skirmished with the Rebels at Brownwood in
Lawsons Bottom and on the opposite side of the Cumberland River at Irish
Bottom. Keeton then chased Champ Ferguson's forces up Crocus Creek and
out up Puncheon Creek with Ferguson firing at Keeton's men over his
John Hunt Morgan camped with part of his army at Salt Lick Bend and
stripped the country of most of its food stuffs. He also stayed at
Pleasant Hill near Whites Bottom for three weeks and stripped the county
of its products. The teacher at Pleasant Hill adjourned school for the
duration of the school year due to the fear of John Hunt Morgan.
In 1865 General Lyons entered into Cumberland County, having burned 28
county seats along his way. On December 23, he burned the Campbellsville
Court House and on January 3, 1865, came into the town of Burkesville
and robbed all the stores, took all the best horses and supplied his men
with food from stores and smokehouses. He took the benches of the
Cumberland County Courthouse and split them into kindling wood and set
fire to the building. Fortunately, it was after all the records were
removed. These records, going back to the formation of the county
survived until a courthouse fire in 1933, in whichall would have been
destroyed had it not been for the fact that some were safely in storage
at another building nearby.
Other Wars All wars subsequent to the Civil War have seen volunteers
from Cumberland County and Cumberland County women have shared in the
grief of losing loved ones and the joy of having them returned to them
Churches The earliest church in Cumberland County on record was of a
Christian Church under the leadership of David Haggard, it was noted in
August 1800. The first church of that denomination was built in 1836 and
was two stories high, the upper room used for a school room and a
Masonic Lodge and the lower floor used for the church. Some of the early
ministers were: Newton Mulkey, William Sweeney, John Emerson, William P.
Clark, and Raccoon John Smith. In 1848 a Brother Clark had the greatest
meeting on record with the addition of 104 members.
The Baptists Although not officially recorded, the Baptists claim the
honor of being the pioneer church, with William Hickman preaching in
Kentucky (then Fincastle County, Virginia) in 1776. Lewis Craig
established a church at Lancaster, KY in 1781, but the Baptists in "a
constant stream, poured into Kentucky" after the signing of the Treaty
of Paris in 1783.
Oldest Church The oldest church in the county is the log house on
Casey's Fork of Marrowbone built in 1802. Salem Church dates back to
July 9, 1808 and has kept a continuous record to 1945 (and beyond)
except for 1809-1822. Black slaves belonged to the church in the early
days and attended with their masters, as it was against Kentucky laws to
preach to blacks unless one or more whites were present.
Transportation The people of Cumberland County never voted to approve a
railroad in their county and until the 1960s many of the roads in
Cumberland County were in poor shape and impassable in poor weather.
Many relied upon the Cumberland River as their highway until the
construction of Dale Hollow Dam in the 1940s or on horse and wagon on
the winding roads of the area. Today, most streets, roads, and highways
are in good condition and allow of easy travel at 55mph. The area has
become famous for its rural environ, proud history, excellent sports
fishing, hiking and camping. It hosts thousands of tourists in the
summer season and is the proud location of the new Dale Hollow Resort
Park operated by the Kentucky State Parks.