Kentucky: A History of the State
Perrin, Battle & Kniffin 2nd ed., 1885, Hopkins Co.
Home Page

Surnames Biography
JOHN G. B. HALL, Hopkins County, of the firm of Givens & Hall, editors of Hopkins County Gleaner, was born September 23, 1857, in Hopkins County. He is the son of the late Judge Dixon Hall, received a good education in the common schools of this county, and completed his literary studies at Lincoln College, Lincoln, Ill., in the session of 1877 and 1878; he then returned to Madisonville and commenced the study of law under the preceptorship of Laffoon & Gordon, and was admitted to the bar in October, 1879. He was a candidate for county attorney in 1882, receiving strong support, but being the youngest of three candidates was defeated. Later he became a partner with Polk Laffoon, member of congress, in the practice of law, and this partnership continued one year. October 1, 1883, he, with Mr. Givens, established the Hopkins County Gleaner at Madisonville, and it is said that this paper obtained the largest circulation of any in the State, outside of Louisville. In March, 1885, he retired from the editorial staff of the Gleaner, and is giving his whole attention to his profession.
WASHINGTON I. HAMBY, proprietor of the Hamby House, was born July 18, 1843, in Christian County, Ky. He is a son of M. R. and Charlotte (Hamby) Hamby. The father was born in the same county and State; he engaged in farming, and was one of the oldest tobacco dealers in Hopkins County; he died January 17, 1864, on Johnson's Island, having been taken prisoner on account of his Southern sympathies. The mother was born in Livingston County, Ky., she died September 15, 1875. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, six miles northeast of Dawson; he enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, Kentucky Cavalry, Confederate States army; was discharged July 5, 1863, having served his enlistment he returned home and worked his father's farm one year; he then moved to a farm adjoining Dawson, owned by his brother-in-law, and remained there one year; he then moved to the Utley farm three miles east of Dawson, and farmed there with, his brothers three years; he then moved to Christian County, where he was engaged in the coal business about three years; then moved to Crittenden County, where be was engaged in farming five years. In 1877 he came to Dawson; soon after engaged in merchandising, and kept a railroad eating house; before the expiration of his lease he bought a lot where the Arcadia Hotel now stands, and built a hotel on the southwest corner; this house was afterward destroyed by fire. After the completion of the house he commenced digging a cistern, and July 2, 1881, accidentally discovered the most wonderful well in the world, and now known as the Arcadian Well. Among the diseases cured by the waters of this well are liver troubles, kidney disease dyspepsia, rheumatism, sore eyes and skin diseases. Mr. Hamby has since disposed of this well with the grounds attached, retaining free access to him and his heirs, and all guests he may desire to accommodate, forever. Parties visiting Dawson will receive good attention at reasonable rates by calling, at the Hamby House. Mr. Hamby was married September 18. 1863, to Stacey Menser, of Hopkins County; this union has been blessed with seven children, of whom two sons and three daughters are living.
WILLIAM P. HARDWICK was born in Hopkins County, Ky., February 10, 1833, the son of Benjamin F. and Mary E. (Tolbert) Hardwick, natives of Kentucky, and of Irish and English descent, respectively. Benjamin F. Hardwick, at the age of nineteen, came to Hopkins County, married, bought a farm near Nebo, which he sold after a few years, and bought another near St. Charles, same county, upon which he resided only a few years. He then removed to Henderson County and bought a farm near the city of Henderson, upon which be resided until his death in the fall of 1852. He and wife were from early life devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His father, Christopher C. Hardwick, was a veteran of the Revolutionary war, served under Washington throughout that struggle, but died while making his way homeward on foot, immediately after the war. William P. Hardwick, at the age of sixteen, was bound out to learn the blacksmith's trade, and served an apprenticeship of four years, at Henderson, Ky., where he followed the business one year afterward. He then removed to Madisonville, where he followed the trade for a few months, after which he was employed at Greenville, Muhlenburgh County, for one year, and at South Carlton, same county, for six months. He then returned to Madisonville, where he remained two years; he then opened a shop on the banks of Clear Creek, remaining one year. From thence he went to what is now St. Charles, same county, where he remained two years. He then opened a shop near Nortonsville, where he remained for seventeen years. In 1878 be came to White Plains, where he has since resided and where, in company with his son, Thomas L., he has been doing, a good business at his trade. He was married in December, 1856, to Miss Mary J. Hardwick, a native of Hopkins County.. Four children were the fruit of this union, three of whom, all sons, are living. In politics, Mr. Hardwick is a Democrat and is one of the native born and prominent mechanics of the county. His oldest son, Thomas L., was born in Greenville, Muhlenburgh County, January 6, 1857; he learned the blacksmith's trade while with his father, and has worked at the business ever since he was able to lift a hammer, or since be was eight years old. For the past six years, or since they came to White Plains, he has been a partner in the business. He was married March 18, 1877, to Miss Frances P. Smith, a native of Crittenden County, Ky. Two sons have blessed their union: William T. and Walter E. In politics Mr. Hardwick is a Democrat.
JOHN H. HARKINS was born in Christian County, Ky., August 27, 1833, and is a son of John and Eunice (Mitchell) Harkins, both natives of Christian County, and of English descent. John Harkins, after attaining his majority, bought a farm in Christian County, where he was engaged in farming for many years. Later, he sold the place, and moved to Muhlenburgh County, Ky., where he bought another farm, on which he resided until his death, in 1870, in his sixty-seventh year. He was for several years constable in Christian County, and was a member of the United Baptist Church. Mrs. Eunice Harkins died in 1843. John H Harkins was employed on his father's farm until he was twenty-two years old, after which he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed at Providence for some twenty-three years. He then engaged in the saloon business at the same place, which he continued for about three years, after which he opened a grocery store at Providence, and continued that business for two years. He then farmed on a rented farm for two years. In the fall of 1882, he bought a farm of 190 acres, two miles south of Providence, upon which he now resides. He was married August 2, 1855, to Miss Amanda M. Walker, a native of Todd County, Ky., Nine children were the fruit of this union, seven of whom - three sons; and four daughters - are living. Mr. and Mrs. Harkins are members of the United Baptist Church. In politics he is a Democrat.
WILLIS W. HARRIS was born in Jackson County, Tenn., December 12, 1822, and is a son of Jordan K. and Rebecca (Emery) Harris, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky, and of English and Scotch descent, respectively. Jordan K., when a young man, in 1818, removed to Jackson County, Tenn., where he was soon afterward married, and where he bought wild land, and improved a farm, on which he resided for several years. In December, 1827, he removed to Livingston County, Ky., where he engaged in the live-stock business about three years, during which time, Mrs. Rebecca Harris died; she was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He then returned to Jackson County, Tenn., where he married again, and where he engaged in the stock business until his death, in 1880, in his eightieth year. He was a member of the Old School Baptist Church. The grandfathers of our subject were veterans in the Revolutionary war, and served under Washington. After his mother's death, which occurred when he was about seven years old, Willie W. made his home with his grandfather Emery, until he was twelve or thirteen years old. He then worked at farm labor for about three years. At the age of sixteen, he commenced to learn the brick and stone-mason's trade, which he followed until 1845. He then moved to a tract of 400 acres of wild land, in Crittenden County, Ky., which be had bought some time before, and commenced improving a farm, but after living one year on the place, he lost it on account of a defective title. In 1847 he came to Hopkins County, where be farmed on rented lands for two years. In January, 1849, he bought fifty acres of wild land, one mile south of Nebo, and improved the farm upon which he now resides, and to which he has added, now owning 800acres. He is extensively engaged in farming and stock raising. Mr. Harris was, for a number of years, captain in the old State militia, of Kentucky. He was married, February 20, 1845, to Miss Rachel Roland, a native of Hopkins County. To them were born eight children; three sons and two daughters are yet living. Mrs. Rachael Harris died March 17, 1863, in her thirty-ninth year. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Harris' second marriage, was November 12,1863, to Miss Nancy W. Crow, a native of Hopkins County. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which church he has been a ruling elder for about twenty years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1868, he lost his dwelling house and the entire contents by fire. He is a Democrat.
CHARLES C. HARRISON was born in Hopkins County, Ky., January 3, 1834, and is the only child of Benjamin F. and Penelope (Clark) Harrison, the former a native of Christian and the latter a native of Hopkins County, Ky., and of Irish and English descent, respectively. Benjamin F. Harrison was educated in his native county, was married in Hopkins County, and soon afterward returned to Christian County, where he inherited the old homestead, upon which he resided until his death in 1835. He was for a time one of the magistrates of Christian County, and was a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. The death of Mrs. Penelope Harrison occurred in August, 1837. She also was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Charles C., after his mother's death, was reared by his uncle, James Clark, with whom he resided until the latter's death, August 23, 1848; he then lived with another uncle, David Clark, in Muhlenburgh County, until he was twenty-seven years old. He then bought wild land in Hopkins County, near the present village of White Plains, where he subsequently improved the farm upon which he still resides. He was for four years one of the magistrates of his precinct. He was married January 8, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth Williams, a native of Perry County, Ill. Four children blessed their union, two of whom, one son and one daughter, are living. Mr. Harrison and family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is also an earnest advocate of the temperance cause; in politics he is a Democrat.
E. L. HENDRICKS is a native of Johnson County, Ind. He is the only son and third child of a family of four children born to Dr. W. C. Hendricks and Sarah P. Hendricks, nee Hardin, both born in Shelbyville, Ind. The father's early life was spent in the practice of his profession; he afterward became a very successful banker, but during the panic of 1873 his losses were so large that he was forced to close the bank; he then resumed the practice of his profession in which he is still engaged. Our subject received a good literary education in his youth, after which he took up the study of telegraphing, and soon became master of this profession; he then entered the Wabash Classical College, where be remained five years, and graduated with honors in the class of 1876. Being thrown upon his resources on account of his father's failure, he was compelled to abandon the study of law, which it had been his intention to pursue, and accepted the position of operator for the general manager of the Gould system at Sedalia, Mo. Some time later the general office was transferred to St. Louis, Mo., Mr. Hendricks accompanying the change, and after perfecting himself in stenography became secretary for the general attorney of the Gould system at that point, which responsible position he held about four years. He was married. in 1882, to Miss Mollie Belmont, a daughter of John G. Morton, of Madisonville, Ky.; this union has been blessed with one daughter, Helen E. Soon after marriage he settled at Madisonville, Ky., it not being agreeable for Mrs. Hendricks to reside elsewhere. He at once became proprietor of the Belmont House which is first-class in all its appointments; the gas used for this hotel is manufactured on the premises, and the sleeping apartments are large, airy and well furnished. While at college Mr. Hendricks pursued the study of music with marked success, being endowed by nature with extraordinary talent in that direction; he soon became proficient in both vocal and instrumental music and is a composer of no ordinary ability; he is also a member of the Masonic fraternity.
ISAAC H. HENRY (deceased), McLean County, was born October 22, 1828, in Hopkins County, and was the second of six boys and four girls born to James and Margaret (Witherspoon) Henry, natives of Virginia, and South Carolina, respectively. James was the son of Joseph Henry who was born in Dublin, Ireland. He came to the United States between 1785 and 1790. When nineteen years of age he immigrated to Hopkins County, Ky., (about 1790) where he improved a farm. He was a great reader, with a mind well stored with useful information. He married Lucy Shoemaker, who was born and reared in Virginia. The mother of our subject was a daughter of Isaac Witherspoon, who married a Miss Potts, both born and reared in South Carolina. He immigrated to Hopkins County about 1818, and improved a farm on Rose Creek. Isaac H. was reared on a farm, and educated at the public schools; when twenty, he attended school at Owensville, Ind., for four months; went two months to a Mr. Lacy of Hopkins County. When he became of age he engaged in farming for himself, and purchased 159 acres of woodland, which he improved; operated a farm three miles west of Madisonville. In 1869, he moved to Sebree, Webster County, and engaged in the grocery business for a short time; in 1881, located where he afterward resided and where he died August 25, 1885, in north McLean County, on 100 acres of land well improved. he was ordained to preach in the Baptists Church, in November, 1859, by John Onyett and J.D. Gregory, and William Wilikan; preached in all the counties from Green River, west to Tennessee; was compelled to quit preaching on account of ill health. He was married December 1, 1849, to Martha A. Foxwell, of Hopkins County, and daughter of Jonathan and Martha A. (Baldwin) Foxwell, who were born and reared in North Carolina, and immigrated to Kentucky in a very early day. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry were born two children: Arminia F. and James William. Mrs. Henry died December 6, 1854, and he next married January 7, 1862, Harriet E. Crenshaw, of Hopkins County, a native of Tennessee, and a daughter of William and Rebecca (Jackson) Crenshaw, natives of South Carolina and Virginia, respectively. They had born one child by this marriage, George P. Henry. Mr. Henry was a member of the Masonic order and cast his first presidential vote for Gen. Scott, and since 1860 voted the Republican ticket. George P. Henry, son of Isaac H. and Harriet E. (Crenshaw) Henry, is now twenty-two years of age. His life has been principally spent in schools of high grade and colleges. At the age of twelve he entered the Madisonville Academy and there remained in school until his sixteenth year. Then engaged in the mercantile business about twelve months. Then entered West Kentucky Normal College, situated at South Carrollton, Ky., in the year 1881, and remained in college until he graduated, and had confered (sic) upon him the honorary degrees of A.M. and M.A. in the year 1883. After that accepted a position in Hartford College as professor of mathematics and commercial law.
U. J. HOLLAND was born March, 1820, in Fluvanna County, Va. He is a son of Richard and Lucy (Diggs) Holland; both parents were natives of Virginia. The father died in 1863, aged sixty-two, in Christian County, from injuries received from a fall off of a horse. The mother died about 1872, aged eighty-two. Our subject was reared on his father's farm and at the age of twenty-one commenced working at the wagon-maker's trade, and has also worked at various other kinds of business. In 1846 he went to Tennessee, where he remained until 1860, when he came to Hopkins County, and engaged in farming; he owns from 300 to 400 acres; he remained on his farm ten years, when he moved to Madisonville and built a flour, planing and saw-mill; he has rented out the grist-mill and is operating the other mills. Mr. Holland was married in June, 1843, to Miss A. Yates, of Montgomery County, Tenn. Four children have blessed this union, one son and three daughters. Mr. and Mrs. Holland are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
LIEUT. JAMES W. HOLLOMAN was born in Hopkins County, Ky., September 12, 1832, and is a son of Miles B and Amanda (Headley) Holloman. James W. Holloman was employed on his father's farm until the latter's death, which occurred in March, 1852. In the following fall he made a trip to Texas, and in the spring of 1853 came to Providence, where he was engaged in carpentering until the fall of 1859. He then bought a farm four miles south of town, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits and at carpentering until January, 1867, when he sold out and bought the farm, two and one-half miles south of Providence, upon which he now resides. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Eighth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, Confederate States army, being elected second lieutenant at the organization of the company, and was soon after promoted to first lieutenant. At the battle of Fort Donelson he was taken prisoner, being first retained at Camp Chase, Ohio, but soon removed to Johnson's Island. He was exchanged at Vicksburg in September, 1862, after which be was engaged in the recruiting service until the close of the war. Mr. Holloman was married in September, 1855, to Miss Altha E. Castlebery, a native of Hopkins County. Eight children were the fruit of this union, seven of whom - five sons and two daughters - are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Holloman are devoted and consistent members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is also a bright member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics be is a Democrat.