Anton - Named after Anton Brucken who moved to the community from Evansville, Ind in the late 1800s and set up a sawmill. Located on Hwy 85, 6 miles west of Madisonville.
Ashbyburg - Settled about 1808 by Stephen Ashby, for whom it was named. Located in the extreme northeastern portion of the county on Green River.
Barnsley - Founded in 1886 when the Cooperative Mining and Manufacturing Co. of Hopkins Co, established a Knights of Labor Lodge and opened a mine. Originally called Walton City after William Walton, but name was eventually changed to Barnsley. Located on US 41-A, 3 1/2 miles south of Madisonville.
Coiltown - Probably named for W D Coil, president and general manager of local Rose Creek Co. The community never had a post office of it's own. Located at junction of Ky 502 and 1034, 6 miles west of Madisonville.
Daniel Boone - Named after the frontier hero, Daniel Boone. Located in the southern part of Hopkins Co between St Charles and Nortonville.
Fiddlebow - Names after an unusual tree in which a limb grew out of the side, closely resembling a fiddle bow. Located in the western section of the county a few miles east of Beulah.
Government - Located in the western section of Hopkins County, 3 miles west of Dalton about a mile from the Hopkins-Caldwell county line. It once had a chuch, a school and a tobacco warehouse.
Hecla - A mining community greatly influenced by the Hecla Coal and Mining Company. Located 3 and 1/2 miles south of Madisonville and 1 mile north of Earlington.
Kirkwood Springs - Names for James L Kirkwood who in the late 19th century developed a health resort revolving around the waters of a mineral spring to which many people came to drink for health. Located 13 miles west-southwest of Madisonville in the western section of the county.
Madisonville - The county seat, is centrally located in Hopkins County. The original 40 acres of land was donated by Daniel McGary and Solomon Silkwood in 1807. Names for James Madison, then U.S. secretary of state and later the 4th U.S. President.
Olney - Formerly known as "Iron Bridge Community". At one time there was a mill that was on the Caldwell County side of the Tradewater River, while the end of the iron bridge attached to the mill was in Hopkins County. Located in the south-western part of Hopkins County on the Tradewater River.
Sixth Vein - Located in the southwestern part of Hopkins County a few miles s/e of Beulah and n/e of Charleston. The town was named for the number six coal bed in Western Kentucky, but geologically it is located on the number four coal bed. A coal vein is another term for a coal bed.
Tweddleville - Named after Alfred M Stevens, nicknamed "Tweddle", who operated a grocery store there in the early 1900s. Located in the western part of the county, 4 1/2 miles n/w of Dalton.
Vandetta - Some people believe that the town was originally named vendetta, meaning fight or dispute, but was mis-spelled. It has also been said the the name means "bad". Located a few miles n/e of Hanson in the northeastern section of the county.
Veazey - Was a farming community that came into existence longe before the Civil War when 4 Veazey brothers and their 2 sisters came to Kentucky from Granville County, NC. Located in the norther part of Hopkins Co, 6 miles north of Manitou on Ky 630.
White City - The Hart-Ross Coal Company (formerly the Kington Coal Company) owned and operated the coal processing plant which was the center and heart of the mining community. The name could have originated when all the houses in the mine camp were painted white. Located in the southeastern part of the county, n/e of Mortons Gap and west of the Pond River.
Wolf Hollow - Called Wolf Hollow because of the wolves that howled in the area. The first residents, Matthew and Mary Daniel, came to Hopkins County from NC in 1866. Located in the northern section of the county, beginning at the intersections of Ky 630, north of Manitou and Wold Hollow Road.