Old Schools In LaRue County
Old schools have always interested me. They were
places where people met and worshipped. Often school buildings served
as the churches. See information
below taken in 1899 from an old LaRue County farm map.
1899 School Districts
(District 1) EDLIN SCHOOL located in the northern portion of the county, in the Edlin Community. It is near William Beard and Thomas Edlin places.
(District 2) LYONS SCHOOL located at Lyons Station, near James R. Crady.
(District 3) ATHERTONVILLE SCHOOL located on the west side of the highway in Athertonville. (Not shown on map.)
(District 4) FISHER SCHOOL located on Cecil Ridge in northern LaRue County near home of William Fisher.
(District 5) WEST SCHOOL located on south side of Hwy. 84 near Lou Druien, between White City and Howardstown.
(District 6) HOWARD'S MILL SCHOOL located northwest of Howardstown at Mrs. Howard's, on the west side of Rolling Fork River. (See DB 23 for deed from Austin and Harriett Howard in 1895).
(District 7) MASONIC HALL SCHOOL located near Masonic Lodge #569, southwest of Howardstown. It is near the J. E. Reed and E. S. Ferrill farms. (See DB 13 Page 338, for deed from Mary E. Uptegrove.)
(District 8) OTTER CREEK SCHOOL located on Otter Creek near W. T. Howell.
(District 9) GLEANINGS SCHOOL located just southwest of Gleanings, near John L. Hedgespeth's place.
(District 10) LEVELWOODS SCHOOL located just north of Levelwoods Church near Milton D. Scott farm.
(District 11) GRIMES SCHOOL located just east of Levelwoods and toward Attilla near the John H. Price farm.
(District 12) GRAVEL POINT SCHOOL located in the southeastern corner of the county at H. Price's. Located on the north side of road near, Taylor County.
(District 13) POTEET SCHOOL located just west of Otter Creek, near W. C. Poteet and Richard Skaggs. It was just northeast of Corinth Church. (See DB 15 Page 277, for deed from Richard W. Skaggs.)
(District 14) MORNING STAR SCHOOL located west of Otter Creek, near Jacob Howell and George Salsman. Located just north of Otter Creek Mill.
(District 15) JERICHO SCHOOL located at Jericho, about half way between Hodgenville and Hibernia on Hwy. 210. It was near the George Roark farm and Jericho Church.
(District 16) PRICE SCHOOL located just east of White City, near the John Price place.
(District 17) WILKINS SCHOOL located at Wilkins, near the John Slack farm. (See DB 24 for deed from T. J. and Dorcas Wilkins in 1897)
(District 18) OAKLAND SCHOOL located just northwest of Hodgenville on the west side of the railroad near the W. H. Cofer place and R. McDowell's.
(District 19) SPENCER SCHOOL located north of Hodgenville and just southeast of Roanoke. It was near the Thomas Evans and John Duncan farms. (See deed from Thomas and Mollie Evans in 1890.)
(District 20) NICHOLAS SCHOOL located just east of the Silva post office near the Middle Creek Church. Located not far from the J. Nicholas place. (See DB 22 for deed from William M. Nicholas in 1893.)
(District 21) CARTER SCHOOL was located just southwest of the Middle Creek Church near the W. W. Edlin and Mrs. Mollie Brown's farms.
(District 22) KENNEDY SCHOOL was located about four miles northeast of Hodgenville on the west side of Salem Creek near Will Cromwell's place.
(District 23) STONE HOUSE SCHOOL was located just east of Hodgenville, northeast of the old stonehouse built by the Kirkpatrick family. It was near the James Duckworth and Lee Powell farms.
(District 24) CROSSROADS SCHOOL was located west of Hodgenville about halfway to Eagle Mills at a crossroads. It was near S. E. Sympson's place.
(District 25) FRIENDS SCHOOL was located on the old Stiles Ford Road about three miles southeast of Hodgenville just south of McDougal Creek. (See DB 25 for deed from Catherine Foley in 1898.)
(District 26) MT. TABOR SCHOOL was located near the Mt. Tabor Church and the Durham place.
(District 27) ORRENDERSBURG SCHOOL was located near J. Gibson's and John Vaughn's farms, southeast of Buffalo. It was just north of Walters Creek.
(District 28) LONE STAR SCHOOL was located near the Mt. Moriah Church, near the John M. Elkins place. (See DB 17 Page 89, for deed from John and Sarah Elkins.)
(District 29) WHEELER SCHOOL was located east of Magnolia near the farm of B. F. Wheeler and W. G. Walters. (See DB 17 Page 416, for deed from B. F. and Nancy Wheeler.)
(District 30) BUFFALO SCHOOL was located in Buffalo. (Not shown on farm map.)
(District 31) HOLTSHOUSER SCHOOL was located between Mt. Sherman and the Mt. Tabor Church. It was near the farm of John F. Holtshouser. (See deed from J. F. and Zerilda Holtshouser in 1888.) A few years later their existed a school just south of here called Rosehill by the Rosehill Church. Later, just to the southwest in Mt. Sherman, a school opened up on the east side of the highway.
(District 32) HODGENVILLE SCHOOL was located in Hodgenville. (Not shown of farm map.)
(District 33) TONIEVILLE SCHOOL was located in Tonieville by the A. V. Kennedy place.
(District 34) FARMERS SCHOOL was located several miles north of Roanoke near the Joe Dever and John Kennedy farms. (See DB 38 Page 259, for deed from W. H. and Amanda Farmer.)
(District 35) MORRISON SCHOOL was located just west of Mather Mill and south of the South Fork Creek near Oscar Morrison's.
(District 36) LINCOLN SPRING SCHOOL was located just south of the Lincoln Birthplace farm. It was near Reed's Mill and John Sallee's place.
(District 37) WALTERS SCHOOL was located about half way between Buffalo and Magnolia near F. K. Walters farm and Walters Creek.
(District 38) OAK HILL SCHOOL was near Oak Hill Church and the farms of A. R. Hornback and Mrs. J. Highbaugh. (See DB 38 for deed from R. O. Tucker dated in 1896.)
(District 39) BIG SPRING SCHOOL was located near the Big Spring Church in western LaRue County, not far from the W. A. Heady farm. (See DB 25 for lease from the Big Spring Church.)
(District 40) BROOKS SCHOOL was situated about half way between Upton and Magnolia near the farm of W. D. Brooks and D. G. Meers. (See DB 22 for deed from D. H. and Martha Brooks in 1892).
(District 41) MAGNOLIA SCHOOL was located in Magnolia. (Not shown on the farm map.)
(District 42) KEITH SCHOOL was located west of the South Fork Church near the E. H. Humphrey and J. Keith places.
(District 43) BARREN RUN SCHOOL was located just north of Barren Run Church, not far west of Tanner. (See deed from Mollie E. Hornback in 1891.)
(District 44) KNOBS SCHOOL was situated in western LaRue County near the A. McCandless and Mrs Lucy Hornback farms.
(District 45) TALLEY SCHOOL was located a few miles east of Upton near the John Baily and W. J. Mears farms.
(District 46) DORSEY SCHOOL was located just south of the Sonora Road near the G. W. Leasor and T. J. Leasor's farms in western LaRue County. (See deed from Charles and Mary Daughtery in 1890.)
(District 47) SIBERIA SCHOOL was situated at Siberia near the Green B. Tharp and M. C. Hodges farms. (Series of deeds in 1894 found in DB 23)
(District 48) KNOTTS SCHOOL was located at Gibson, just east of the Oak Grove Church and near the W. Evans farm. (See DB 15 page 19, for deed from Benedict and Mary Knott).
(District 49) ELM SPRING SCHOOL was located just north of the Pleasant Ridge Church at the John Clark and Louis Warren farms.
(District 50) THOMPSON HILL SCHOOL was located on the head waters of Thompson Creek, just north of Lincoln Boyhood home. It was near the Jack Thompson farm. (See deed from George and Belle Bartley in 1890).
(District 51) PARKERS GROVE SCHOOL was situated at Parkers Grove not far from Magnolia. Located near the J. A. Lamkin place. (See DB 23 for deed from J. A. Lamkin in 1892.)
(District 52) CORINTH SCHOOL was located just north of the Corinth Church near Marshall Despain's place.
(District A) HODGENVILLE COLORED SCHOOL was located in Hodgenville. (Not shown on the farm map.)
(District B) SIBERIA COLORED SCHOOL was located at Siberia near Richard Cook's, just north of the Colored Church and cemetery.
(District C) BUFFALO COLORED SCHOOL was located in Buffalo. (Not shown on the farm map.)
(District D) LYONS STATION COLORED SCHOOL was located just south of Lyons Station near George Bartley's place.