Excerpts from the
Mountain Echo
Laurel County's
first newspaper

                                                Reprinted with permission of the Laurel County Historical Society

Return to Mountain Excerpts main page

DECEMBER 6, 1895

DIED, on the 29th ult., little Fredie a six-weeks-old infant of Dan and Ola WOODWARD, of Lily, Ky. It was taken to the Camp Ground and an exhortation was delivered to its parents and friends by Rev. John BLAIR; afterwards the remains were laid in the cemetery at Camp Ground. Mr. and Mrs. WOODWARD extend to the people of Lily and Camp Ground their thanks for kindness shown them in their trouble.

THE GRADED SCHOOL DEFEATED The proposition to establish a graded school in London nine months out of the year was defeated last Saturday by a vote of 84 to 96. To our mind this was the most severe blow ever administered to our town, and the perople of the county generally, and when those who opposed it when they have time to consider the matter and view it in all its phases, we are constrained to believe will recognize and acknowledge it. We say that it was a severe blow to the people of the county from the fact that if the proposition had carried, it would have assured the people of the county a first class high school, at least nine months in the year, to which they could send their children for one third less tuition than they can now procure here or elsewhere, and further it would have enabled those of the county who contemplate changing their location in order to give their children a good education to move to our town, prepare their children for college in our graded school, and then put them in college here and complete their education for less than they can educate them anywhere else. Again the defeat of the proposition will virtually destroy $8,000 of county property, all the Seminary property.


Corn is selling at 30 cents a bushel.

Hugh W. BOWLING is moving to McWhorter.

J.R. MARTIN is teaching his 43rd term.

J.C. BROCK has sunk a 40 foot well. He went 30 feet before striking rock.

C.B. HUBBARD is going to get married.

A.T. BRUNER has bought out Wm. BURKHART.


Messrs. Jas. WILLIAMS and W.R. HACKNEY leave Saturday night for the Atlanta Exposition.

Mrs. Dr. H.V. PENNINGTON, who has been spending several weeks at her father- in-law's in East Tennessee, returned home Sunday morning.

We have been having some real hog killing weather during the week and many of our farmers took advantage of it and salted away their meat.

It was to the wife of Mr. Geo. H. BROWN and not Geo. W. BROWN, as stated in last issue, that a fine boy was born, Clarence L. Roy. Pardon is asked of all parties.

Rev. H.O. MOORE, presiding elder of the M.E. Church, South, of this place, is a citizen of our town having moved into the property belonging to Mr. J.B. EBERLEIN.

DIED - November 24th, 1885, at the residence of her father, near Marydell in Clay county, of pneumonia fever, Miss Martha E. PHILPOT, daughter of Hon. G.H. PHILPOT. She was in her 21st year as a member of the United Baptist church, and died in the full triumphs of a living faith.

DIED - At his home in this place last Monday morning, of old age and general debility, Rev. E.H. REVEL, in his eightieth year. His funeral sermon was preached Tuesday afternoon at the Baptist church, by Rev. W.A. BORUM, assisted by Revs. J.R. PEOPLES and J.J. DICKEY, of the Methodist church, and his remains were laid to rest on Cemetery Hill.

Liberty experienced the novelty of a strictly old fashion fist and skull fight last Monday afternoon. The participants were Wad BROWN, Tom BRANSON and Geo. DAVIS. Friends interferred and stopped it and before the Sheriff arrived the parties had cooled off and it was difficult to get the names of the parties. The only damage done was a bloody nose for Wad BROWN, at whom both the others had in turn taken a spat.

OAKLEY December 13, 1895

Mr. Jacob BAUMAN, an aged citizen of this place, is dangerously ill with lung affection.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. BAUGH, of London visited the former's father at Mershon's X Roads last week.

Mr. Jackson TRUITT contemplates leaving this part soon. We are sorry to lose you, Jack, but if you can do better elsewhere we wish you unlimited success.

The school of Mr. W.L. GREEN, at Altamont, closed last Friday, with a grand entertainment at night. Mr. GREEN is one of our most enterprising young teachers.

Mrs. Jane PATTON has been quite ill with rheumatism for the past two weeks, but is improving.

The common school in ths district closes next Tuesday, the 17th, Mr. E.E. WILDER of Boreing, teacher.

Mt. John ISAACS, a sound money and sound headed Republican of this place is booming BRADLEY for President. He says he will get there.

It is reported that several persons have seen a panther near this place recently. Also from a reliable source that a catamount lives near the home of Mr. Lemuel CASTEEL.

Two dogs belonging to Thomas PATTON and Lee THOMAS went mad some time since. One was killed, the other escaped.

Bro. KARR preached at Mt. Carmel last Saturday and Sunday. This was his last appointment at this place. A special meeting will be held on the fourth Sunday for the purpose of hiring a minister for the ensuing year.

Mr. Jack WATKINS is preparing himself for the ministry. He intends to enter a theological school next autumn.

Mr. Wm. BINDER is pareparing to start to Germany in a short while where he expects to make his future home.

Mr. Clint CARRIER, of Madison, is out buying cattle. He is paying two cents per pound for four-year-olds and younger.

Hog killing is on hands again. Fat hogs are quite plentiful.

Mr. Chas. SEWELL was in Jackson county Sunday.

Mr. Grant TEMPLIN and family think of moving to Illinois this winter, where Mr. TEMPLIN has two brothers.

This winter, for the first one in many years, finds this community with reasonably good roads.


Misses Intha FAIN and Ida THOMPSON attended the entertainment at the close of W.L. GREEN's school Friday night.

Mr. and Mrs. S.J. BASTIN are visiting at Mr. Jasper PEARLs.

Messrs. Chas. SETTON and Robt. BOSSIE assisted in the entertainmentat the Altamont white school.


We had a fall of beautiful snow yesterday.

D.R. BROCK, Esq., is very low with typhoid fever.

Judge BOYD and Dr. SCALES leave Sunday morning for Floriday. [sic]

Rev. E.H. REVEL died of Prostah instead of old age and general debility, as stated in our last issue.

Miss Ida WHITE of near Lily, left yesterday for Lampasas, Texas, where she will make her future home.

Mr. Green DENHAM who has been confined with typhoid fever for some time is so far recovered as to be up and about again.

"Dame Rumor" has it that one of London's fair sex will take unto herself a "TAYLOR" in a few days. May their "little mis fits" be few and far between.

Not in the memory of the oldest inhabitant now living, was the water so scarce in London and vicinity at this time of the year as it is now. Though this is nearly the middle of December, many wells are comparatively dry, too low to use the water out of them, and there is but little water in the creeks and branches for stock.

THE YEAR IS CLOSING I feel deeply inclined to thank my many good friends and customers, and to thank God for them, for their hearty support through the year's business. Thanking you agian and thanking you in advance for your support in the future. I remain truly Mrs. L.J. WILLIAMS

The wife of Mr. John GREYBEAL is down with typhoid fever. His son Fred also has every symptom of that disease.

Mr. Dan BROWN who has been confined with typhoid fever for several months, is again able to be at his desk in the First National Bank.

County Clerk C.N. SCOVILLE and daughter Miss Sallie, returned Wednesday night from their trip to the Atlanta Exposition and Orangeburg, S.C..

Owing to the change for the worse in the condition of Willis PEARL Messrs. Will HACKNEY and James WILLIAMS did not leave for the Atlanta Exposition Sunday night as contemplated.

A very serious difficulty occurred in the eastern portion of this county a few days ago, in which two men, Alexander and Appleby SMITH were seriously, but not dangerously wounded, by Gilbert EDWARDS. There are naturally, as in all other cases, two sides to the question, or at least, the two parties concerned make different statements. SMITHs claim that EDWARDS came to where they were sacking some apples and without any provocation commenced stabbing them, stabbing one of them four times and the other once. EDWARDS ---- that the SMITHs had hired him to haul their apples, but owing to some unavoidable circumstance he did not go to do thehauling on the day he promised, but went a couple of days later, and when he did go told them that he had come to haul their apples. They told him that they did not want him, that they had made other arrangements. To this he answered all right. In moving around he accidently -----ck of ------? spilling them where upon the SMITHs commanded him to pick them up, to which he replied that, as he had turned them over by accident, he did not know that he would do it. At this they grew into a passion, one of them grabbing a hoe and struck at him but he ran under the hoe and cut him. The other then picked up the hoe and struck at him but he ran under his lick and stabbed him too. EDWARDS left the country, and has not been heard of since. Dr. FOSTER was called to attend the wounded men, and reports them as resting comfortably.

December 20, 1895


Mr. T. J. TUTTLE of this place is very ill with a cold.

Mr. A.B. HOPPER started yesterday for a western soap factory, vis. Salt river.

Mr. U.S. TUTTLE paid the Piney Woods a brief visit last week, hunting a stray pig, and had the luck to get two.


Mr. "Coog" REYNOLDS contractor, bricklayer etc., of Larue, was here last week, building a chimney for Mr. Chas. SEWELL.

Miss Margaret GREEN is dangerously low with typhoid fever.

Newton, son of Joseph GAINES, of Mershon's X Roads is seriously ill with scrofula, or something similar. Fear is entertained that he will not recover.

Mr. James W. WATKINS of Raccoon, visited friends at Mershon's X Roads, Sunday.

Mr. JohnW. GAINES returned home Saturday evening, his school at Slate Lick having closed.

It was reported here last week the Mr. Elisha BOWLING of McWhorter was dead, but we are glad to say, that it was a mistake.

Two of Mr. Jack GAINES infant children are very sick with pneumonia fever.

Miss Ella STANLEY was bitten a short time since by a dog supposed to be mad. A madstone was procured and applied to the wound, but would not adhere. Two children near Mt. Zion were bitten by a dog a few days ago.

Misses Nola WITHERS and Sallie GREEN and Messrs. W.L. GREEN, Geo. PHILLIPS and Carter BALL visited our school last Friday.

Mr. G.W.A. JONES Jr., is paying quite frequent visits to Mt. Pleasant and vicinity of late.

Miss Lula WELCH, of McKee passed through this place Sunday morning en route to Louisville.

DIED-On Wednesday, Dec 11th, at his home on Rockcastle river, in this county, Mr. Jack BALL, an aged highly respected citizen. Old age and general debility were the chief causes of his death. Mr. BALL moved from Harlan county to this county about seven years ago. He was a prosperous farmer and an inoffensive old gentleman. His friends and relatives are many. He leaves a wife and a large family of children most all of whom are grown. The bereaved ones have our most sincere condolence in this their sad affliction. The remains were interred in the Carter graveyard near Mt. Olive.

Mr. and Miss HAUSS, of Tennessee are visiting the family of Mr. William NELSON, of this place, to whom they are closely related.

The funeral services of Mr. Jacob BAUMANN were preached at Mt. Carmel by Rev. M. DENNY, of Bernstadt. The services were conducted first in German and then in English. The body was interred in the Landrum graveyard.

Mr. H. C. PENNINGTON contemplates a visit to Annville during the holidays.

Mr. Geo. ANDES has moved to East Bernstadt.


Mr. John WOODWARD and his sister, Miss Etta, were visiting in London last Sunday.

Superintendent JOHNSON's wife is very low and but little hopes are entertained of her recovery.

Mr. D.B. SHACKELFORD of Richmond, was in London Tuesday, on his way to Clay county, on important business.

Ed WILLIAMS, the barber has moved his shop down to his old stand on Main street, near his residence. Mach ? EDWARDS, of Richmond occupies the shop at the Catching Hotel.

The school of Mr. Woodson HARRIS, down on Sinking closed last Friday. This is Mr. HARRIS fourth year as teacher in this district which is conclusive evidence that his teaching gives entire satisfaction.

Young GAINS, who is reported seriously ill in our Oakley correspondence died Wednesday.

Tom GILL while working at GREEN's saw mill, in this county Wednesday, had his leg broken.

Mr. D.N. ALLEN the telephone man has returned from the Atlanta Exposition, and is occupying a position behind the counter of Mr. C.P. ALLEN, the grocer.

Charlie YOUNG, charged with the killing of T.C. NORVILLE, was given an examining trial Before Judge BROWN last Friday and held for his appearance in the next Circuit Couty in a bond of $1,000.

Mr. Adolph KUNTZ was called to Indiana a few days ago, on account of the serious illness of his father.

Roscoe the five year old son of Mr. and Mrs. John WYATTE, has typhoid fever. Whether or not it is a very severe attack has not yet been developed.

MARRIED-At the bride's residence in London, at nine o'clock last Sunday morning, by Rev. J.R. PEOPLES, Mr. T.J. TAYLOR of Perry county to Miss Lizzie FARIS. They left Sunday morning for Lexington where they will spend a few days and then they will go to Perry county where they will make their future home.

MORTALLY WOUNDED-Late Wednesday night Dan QUINN shot and mortally wounded Manse THURMAN, a painter, at East Bernstadt, this county with a 32 caliber Smith & Wesson. The ball took effect about two inches to the right of the navel, passing through his body, coming out on the right side of the spine. QUINN surrendered himself to Mr. G.C. THOMPSON who brought him to London yesterday. QUINN says that THURMAN was an entire stranger --------------------------? day before THURMAN was following him around, threatening to kill him keeping him on the run all day. Finally THURMAN hemmed QUINN and QUINN had to shoot him in self defense. QUINN says that he had nothing against him. Reports say that THURMAN was drinking. The latest was that THURMAN is dying.

DIED-At the residence of her husband in this place yesterday (Thursday) morning about 2 o'clock of pleuresy and heart trouble, Aunt Eliza FARIS, wife of G.W. FARIS, well and familiarly known as "Uncle Witt". She was about 70 years of age and one of the best and purest women on earth. She was the daughter of Aunt Amanday BAUGH who died here only a few days since, and a sister of Hon. J.F. BAUGH, of this county and Mrs. B.M. FARIS and Mrs. Wm. LOVELACE of this place. The funeral sermon was preached yesterday afternoon by the Rev. J.R. PEOPLES and the remains laid to rest on Cemetery Hill about 4 o'clock. She leaves a husband and three daughters, Mrs. Florence BOREING, of Texas, Mrs. Rena LOVILLE, of Knox county and Miss Eva FARIS, to mourn her death.


The coal works at Pittsburg furnish welcome employment to many of our colonists at present and it is hoped will do so all winter. Steady work and good wages means prosperity all around, and the "wolf" kept at a good distance.

BORN-To the wife of Mr. Jacob ABDUHL, another fine girl baby.

Miss Freda WALTHER, who returned from Louisville some time ago on account of ill health is improving wonderfully as her cheerful spirit and rosy cheeks indicate.

DIED-Of acute pneumonia, in his 84th year, Mr. Joe BLAZER, on Dec. 13. His remains were buried by the side of his daughter Mrs. WENGER, who died a few months since.

Mr. W. GLOOR of near Liberty church house, is in a critical condition from the effects of a cancer of the abdomen. Later advices, however give us some hope for his recovery, and the patient himself has not despaired yet.

DECEMBER 27, 1895

Jacob BAUMAN was born in Switzerland in the year 1828. He was of Swiss parentage. At an early age he adopted the profession of shoemaker. While yet a young man he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to a young lady of his own nationality. In 18-- with his family, he emigrated to the United States and took up his abode in Illinois, where he resided a number of years. From this State he removed to Michigan, but soon returned and for some time was employed in the lumber yards and slaughter houses in Chicago. Desiring to locate in an Agricultural region he removed to Iowa, but soon afterward went to California and spent one year in that State and in Oregon. Then returning to Iowa in 1884 he removed to Kentucky, and after residing a short time in Laurel county, he purchased land near Oakley Laurel county, upon which he lived till his death, which occcrred on Tuesday night, Dec. 10th, 1895. His death was caused by a disease of the lungs of long standing. Landrum graveyard. (part of paper missing)


Aunt ---- JACKSON one of the oldest and most highly respected colored women of the county died at her home in the eastern suburbs of London last Saturday morning and was buried Sunday on Cemetery Hill.

Orville, the twelve year old son of Mr. Sam McKEE of this place, was accidently shot in the back by a musket loaded with shot, in the hands of his brother a few days since, while out hunting. He will recover.

MARRIED-On the 23d inst, at Stanford, Mr. W.J. GILBERT to Miss Laura Myrtle SAULTER. The groom is a son of Mrs. POTTER, of this place and the bride an accomplished colored teacher of Stanford. May their joys be numerous and their sorrows few.

Judge BOREING was called to Oxford, Ohio last Friday on account of the illness of his daughter Miss Julia who has been attending school at that place the past Year. Miss Julia accompanied her father home.

DECEMBER 27, 1895

Mrs. J.V. ELLIOTT and Mrs. C.C. WOODWARD were called to Springfield, Ohio, several days ago by a telegram announcing the death of their father, Uncle George MILLER. He died on Monday, the 16th inst., and was buried on Wednesday, the 18th. None of his children were present when he died, but all except one attended his funeral. He was in his 83d year, and leaves one son, Mr. A.W. MILLER, of Pulaski county, and four daughters to mourn his death, and was the last of the living uncles of the editor of the ECHO. He left Kentucky about 30 years ago and since living in Springfield is said to have accumulated considerable property. He disposed of all his property equally among his children and appointed Mr. J.V. ELLIOTT of this county executor of his will.

INSTANTLY KILLED-Between 9 and 10 last Tuesday night a bloody battle took place at the residence of Mr. Al DAVIDSON, on Raccoon Creek 8 miles north past of London, between Matt and William DEZARN on the one side and Luther DAVIDSON on the other which resulted in the killing of Matt DEZARN and the slight wounding of Wm. DEZARN in the arm. The participants were cousins and the difficulty was the result of a family feud of about one year's standing. The circumstances leading up to the killing are conflicting, each party giving his own version of it. William DEZARN, who escaped with only a slight wound in his arm, say that he and his brother were passing by Mr. DAVIDSON's when they were attacked, without any provication [sic] whatever on their part, and after his brother fell he remarked to him that he (the brother) was killed and for him (the witness) to save himself by flight, which he did, leaving his brother in the fence corner. He reached London about twelve, midnight, and secured warrents for Luther DAVIDSON and his father, whom the Sheriff arrested and brought to London Xmas day. Young DAVIDSON says that he was at church with the DEZARN brothers that evening, that when they were leaving Matt DEZARN asked him to let DEZARN ride behind him, which he declined to do, remarking that his company was gone and he desired to go with them. DEZARN then drew his pistol and hit his horse with it, that he intended whipping him again, making the third whipping he had given him, that he and his brother intended being at DAVIDSON's that night and for him to prepare himself for a whipping and not lock himself up in the house or run off as he had done before. He says that he went home and informed his father and at about the time above mentioned someone hollered in the road in front of the house and he went to and opened the door and as he did this a pistol fired from the road and then he opened fire upon them, that he only fired four shots, that he only had one pistol and it had only four loads in it, and that his father never fired a shot. The body of the dead man was not found until about midnight literally covered with blood, the ball took effect in the abdomen, about three inches above the groin and two inches to the left of the center. 


 Return to Laurel County Homepage