John Samuel Jackson

Submitted By : Ann O. Jackson
John Samuel Jackson, Jr. was my husband's grandfather.  His name is also
John Samuel Jackson, named for his grandfather.  His Jackson family were
the owners and operators of Jackson Foundry and Machine Co. at Water
Street and what is now Kentucky Ave.  The property now holds the Marine

The Paducah Evening Sun
April 29, 1912


  One of the oldest business men in Paducah passed away Saturday night when John Samuel Jackson, 76 years old, proprietor of the Jackson Foundry and Machine company, died at his home, 441 South Sixth Street, at 11:20 o’clock after a several years’ illness of infirmities due to old age.  Pneumonia was the direct cause of his death, although his condition has been feeble for several years.  However, Mr. Jackson was a man of strong will and missed but few days from his office even during the cold weather this past winter.  Two weeks ago, he became ill and the family physician advised the family that he would never get up.  While his condition was regarded as serious, his death so soon was unexpected.  At dusk Saturday evening he began to sink and his condition became worse gradually until death.  Most of the members of his family were present.
   In his private business and his career in public life Mr. Jackson was well known and served both well.  The Jackson Foundry and Machine company at First Street and Kentucky avenue is probably the oldest manufacturing and repairing plant in the city.  It was established in 1863 and has been in continuous operation.  Mr. Jackson was the sole owner and it has always had a prosperous business, doing especially a great deal of machinery work on steamboats.
 Although he was a man that did not seek political honors, Mr. Jackson served the city in the legislative department.  He was elected to numerous terms as a member of the council and also served many years as a school trustee, and he always had the interest of the public schools at heart.
 Mr. Jackson was born and reared in St. Louis, where he learned the trade of a machinist.  When a young man he was sent by a firm to Paducah to do some work.  Paducah then was a hamlet, but he liked the town and realized the prospects for a city.  He decided to locate here and worked for several years in the Johnson Brothers’ foundry before embarking in business for himself.  He was a member of the volunteer fire department, and when the fire department was first made a paid organization he served as engineer of the first steam engine owned by the city.
 With the exception of 13 months, which he spent in Missouri, he has resided continuously in Paducah.  In 1857 he was married to Miss Caroline McGee.  His wife and one daughter, Miss Kate Jackson, survive and four sons, Will Jackson and Sam Jackson, of Paducah; Leonard Jackson, of Union City, Tenn., and Harry Boyce (Boss) Jackson, of Jacksonville, Fla.  Two brothers, George Jackson, of North Sixth street, and William Jackson, of St. Louis, also survive.  He leaves one sister, Mrs. Annie Candler, of Mountain Grove, Mo.
 Many years ago Mr. Jackson became a member of the Broadway Methodist church and was also the oldest member of the Paducah Lodge No. 127 of Masons.
 Jackson Hill, where the Anti-tuberculosis sanitarium is located is named after Mr. Jackson.  He was a member of the council when the property was purchased for a cemetery.
 The funeral will be held at 2 o’clock tomorrow afternoon at the residence, the Rev. W. D. Jenkins, pastor of the Broadway Methodist church, officiating.  The Paducah lodge of the Masons will have charge of the burial, which will take place in Oak Grove cemetery.