Monroe County Cemetery Locations

This listing of the Monroe County Cemetery locations is from Eva Coe Peden's books "Monroe County Kentucky Cemetery Records Vol 1 & 2".

The descriptions are as she recorded them in 1974. There are dozens of small cemeteries throughout Monroe County (many with the same name) located on private land. Many of these farms may have changed ownership since 1974 when this book was written. If you will be visiting Monroe County, please check locally for a more accurate location.

I would like to have transcriptions of all of the cemeteries in Monroe County. Also, I would like pitures of the tombstones. If you have either of these (even if they aren't complete) please consider sharing them. You can send your information to me at pasttracker@gmail.com Please be sure to include the following information with your submissions. The name and location of the cemetery that the information pertains too, including the County and State.

Volume 1:

Bushlong Cemetery Located in the Mt. Gilead section of Monroe County on the farm of Rondell Bushlong.
Beech Grove Cemetery Located near the KY-TN line beyond Harlans Cross roads, the the Beech Grove Church.
Old Bowman Cemetery Located near the KY-TN state line in the Clementville section, on farm formerly owned by Kay Rhoton but now owned by Cornell Rhoton and cemetery is located back of barn on top of a hill.
Miller Cemetery Located in the Rockbridge section of Monroe County on the Herod Holloway farm.
Strode Cemetery Located in the Rockbridge section of Monroe County, on a hill across from the Gee Miller Residence.
Golden Cemetery Located in same section (Rockbridge) and back of the home of Gee Miller.
JJ Vawter Cemetery Located in Monroe County to the right of Hwy 1049, between the Pleasant Hill Church and Skaggs Creek Church, and on the farm of E. O. Crumpton
Carter Cemetery Located between Mt. Gilead and Rockbridge, off Hwy 163, on the Earl Carter farm.
Walden Cemetery Located back of house on hill before getting to Mt. Gilead, to the left of the highway going from Tompkinsville.
Strode Cemetery Located to the left of Hwy 1049 between Old Mr. Herman and Pleasant Hill Church.
Page-Biggers Cemetery Located on the right of Hwy 1049 going from Tompkinsville, across from the Bray home.
Button Cemetery Located on the Sand Lick road, and in the woods across the highway from farm formerly owned by Ray Jones.
Old Temple Hill Cemetery Located at the Old Temple Hill Church, on the Clouds Ridge Road. Turn right at the Pleasant Hill Church and go toward Center Point.
Hammer Cemetery Located on Cloys Ridge, across the road from the Old Temple Hill Church.
Basil Cemetery Located on Cloyds Ridge and off the Old Temple Hill Road.
Tooley Cemetery Located on Cloyds Ridge and just off the Old Temple Hill Road beyond the Slick Rock School, and on the farm of Baxton White.
Tooley Cemetery Cemetery Located on Cloyds Ridge and by side of the Old Temple Road.
Page Cemetery Located in the Persimon section.
Mt Gilead Cemetery Located off Hwy 163 at Mt. Gilead.
Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery Located on Hwy 1049 at the Pleasant Hill Church of Christ.
Old Mt Herman Cemetery Located off Hwy 1049 at the Mt Herman Church.
Sympson-Norman Cemetery Located about 7 miles from Tompkinsville on left of Hwy 163, between the Cross roads and Tompkinsville.
White Cemetery Located in the Sulpheur Lick section.
Payne Cemetery Located between Mt Herman and Sulphur Lick.
Kingrey Cemetery Located between Sulpher Lick and Mt herman, off Road 678, on the old James Kingrey farm, now owned by Zada Kingrey.
Grave on Merrit Harlan Farm Located between Sulpher Lich and Mt herman on the Marritt Herman farm.
Old Bowles Burying Ground Located on the old Felin Bowles farm, in the section between Sulphur Lick and Mt. Herman.
Hamilton Cemetery Located on the Virgie Hope farm in the Sand Lick section.
Hamilton Cemetery Located on the Apple Grove Road, which is off Hwy 90 and the Sulpher Lick Road, and on the farm formerly owned by Lon Bybee, and the Payne family before Mr. Bybee.
Skaggs Cemetery Located on Hwy 163 at Skaggs Creek Church between Tompkinsville and the Crossroads. Skaggs Creek Missionary Baptist Church established 1841.
Bell Cemetery Located between Etoile and Temple Hill, on the Greer farm.
Hickory Ridge Cemetery Located near the Cumberland County line (Mud Camp Hill) leave Hwy on gravel road, go about 1 miles.
Hill Cemetery Located in the Laurel Bluff section.
Isenberg Cemetery Located in the Emberton section, just off Road 1336 on the Cliva J. Isenberg farm.
Beautiful Home Cemetery Located about 4 miles from Tompkinsville on the Gamaliel Road, turn left on gravel road and cemetery is located about 3 miles from the Gamaliel Hwy.
Smithwick or Adams Cemetery Located in the Ebenezer section, near the Athens Baptist Church.
Athens Church Cemetery (Ebenezer) Located in the Ebenezer section, near the church.
Ebenezer Cemetery Located in the Ebenezer section and across the road from the Ebenezer Church.
Freedom #2 Church Cemetery Located near the TN-KY line between Hestand and Moss TN.
Mt Poland Cemetery Cemetery Located off the Celina-Tompkinsville road beyond Moore's Mill and in the Chestnut Grove section.
Button Cemetery Located in the Sandlick section across road from the farm formerly owned by Ray Johns. In wood on left of hwy going toward Sand Lick.
Webb Cemetery Located on the Noel Myatt farm between Mt. Herman and Sulpher Lick, not far from the Barren-Monroe County line.
Wax Cemetery Located near Tompkinsville on the forkton road on the Tommy Bowman farm.
New Salem Church Cemetery Located between Bethleham and Jeffrey about 5 miles from Bethleham turn right on gravel road and go about 2 miles to the Church on the left of the road. Cemetery is below the Church on a hillside.
Railey Cemetery Located in the Forkton section of Monro Co on the Old Railey farm, where Miss Donnie Railey lived.
Old Ward Cemetery Located beside hwy about 2 miles from Flippin, Hwy 870 from Glasgow.
Belcher-Mitchell Cemetery Located between Tompkinsville and Emberton, beside Hwy 1366 and across the road from the Free Will Church.
Henson Cemetery Located on right of road before getting to Hestand store & Post Office.
Mitchell Cemetery Located in the section of The Free Will Church between Mudlick and Tompkinsville on the Lee Isenberg farm.
Uptgrove Cemetery Located on the Fred Headrick farm in the Cedar Hill section.
Bowman Cemetery Located in the Poplar Log section, a few miles from Hwy 63, to the Bowman Church.
Curtis Cemetery Located about 2 miles from Tompkinsville on the Gamaliel road.
High-Jackson Cemetery Located on Hwy 839, the Forkton road on the farm of Matt Walden near the East Fork Creek.
Tyree Cemetery Located south of Mt Herman off Hwy 63 on the farm of Jeff Williams.
Shirley Cemetery Located near Mud Lick on the Clyde Short farm.
Register Cemetery Located in the Mud Lick section near the junction of the road that goes to the Free Will Church.
Hughes Cemetery Located in the Cedar Hill section on the old Thompson Peden farm, now owned by Denton Headrick
Bowles Cemetery Located in the Cedar Hill section on farm where Charles Geralds now lives.
Bradley Cemetery Located on the Fred headrick farm in the Cedar Hill section.
Old Cedar Hill Church Cemetery Located in the Cedar Hill section off Hwy 63, and in a wooded section back of the church.
Bowles Cemetery Located in the Cedar Hill section on a farm now owned by Philip Bowles.
Eubank Cemetery Located in the Muclick section on farm formerly owned by Howard McClendon.
England Cemetery Located on Mrs Ellis England's farm on the Alexandria road, near or between Flippin and Gamaliel. Several graves marked only w/native stones. Supposed to be of England family.
England Cemetery Located off the Gamaliel-Flippen road. Turn on gravel road at the Aud Proffitt place, go about 4 miles to Rol Ford farm.
Brown Cemetery Located off Hwy 63, turn left at Bailey's or at store formerly known as the Road House, go about 1 mile down road.
McPherson Cemetery Located in Barren Co near the Monroe Co line, and on the Depp farm near Summer Shade KY.
McPherson Cemetery Located in the Sand Lick section on farm formerly owned by Ray Johns.
Bethleham Cemetery Located between Mt Herman and Mudlick, off Hwy 63 at Bethelham.
McPherson Cemetery Located between Sulpher Lick and Forkton and on farm formerly owned by Smith Bushlong.
Simmons Cemetery Located on the New Design road near Ft Run on the Charlie Staffor farm, formerly owned by Cap. Simmons.
Howard Cemetery Located near Akersville on farm now owned by Wheat family, but formerly known as the old Jim Hagan farm.
Akers Cemetery Located on the Rebley Holder farm on Barren River. Also know as the Robinson Cemetery because a Robinson family lived there for many years.



Volume 2:

Bailey Cemetery Take Hwy 163 from Tompkinsville to Hestand; turn left onto Hwy 216 and cemetery is located about 1/2 mile on the right.
Sis McCoy Cemetery Located in the Elbow section near Cumberland River, on farm now owned by Mrs. Pearl (Kirkpatrick) Biggerstaff.
Richardson Cemetery Located on Cumberland River near the Old Black's Ferry, on the Walter Gentry farm.
Gamaliel Cemetery Located at Gamaliel, in Monroe County, a mile from the TN line.
Oak Hill Cemetery Located in Tompkinsville.
Old Soldiers Cemetery Located in Tompkinsville.
Mt. Zion Cemetery Located near Tompkinsville on the road across from radio station.
Old Mulkey Cemetery Located at the Old Mulkey Meeting House.
Furmall Cemetery Located on the New Design Road on or near the Omer Murphey farm.
Jane Yokley Cemetery Located off Hwy 163, the Celina-Tompkinsville Road, about 3 miles from Tompkinsville and back of home of Jesse Marrs Martin.
Yokley Cemetery Located near Tompkinsville.
Old Maxey Cemetery Located about one and half blocks from square.
Henley Cemetery Located on the New Design Road near Fountain Run.
Lebanon Church Cemetery Located near Fountain Run, on Hwy 100, behind the Church, near the Fountain Run Park.
Jordan - Landrum Cemetery Located on Hwy 100 between Fountain Run and Flippin on the Lewis Howard Landrum farm.
Hale Cemetery Located in Monroe County off the Tompkinsville-Gamaliel Road. Turn right off hwy from Tompkinsville at Gulley Creek, follow gravel road to the Floyd Hale farm.
Old Coffelt Cemetery Located in the Beautiful Home section on the Cronell Crow farm. Cemetery is in a cedar thicket back of the house on a hill.
Harlans Cross Roads Cemetery Located at the Harlan's Cross Raod section.
Campbell Cemetery Located off Hey 87 on the New Design Road on farm now owned by Eulas Hunt but formerly owned by Dr. Geo. F. Marrs.
Gibbs Cemetery Located off Hwy 87 on the New Design Road on the Jimmy Gibbs farm, in the hot lot
Dossey Cemetery Located off the New Design Road on the farm where Charle Stafford now lives, but formerly owned by Cap Simmons. Cemetery is about 500 yeard on a hill in back of a barn in a thicket
Simmons Cemetery Located on the New Design Road on farm where Charlie Stafford now lives, formerly owned by Cap Simmons.
Woods Cemetery Located near Fountain Run near Barren-Monroe-Allen Co. lines.
Akerville Cemetery Located Akersville.
Fountain Run Cemetery Located on Hwy 89 at Fountain Run.
Denton-Goodman Cemetery Located near Fountain Run on Hwy 87 opposite the school and on farm owned by Grady Dossey.
Bush Cemetery Located just out of Fountain Run on Hwy 87 on the Earl Hunt farm.
Rocky Hill Cemetery Located about 3 miles north of Bugtussle, at the Rocky Hill Church.
Old Union Church Cemetery Located on Lyon Creek on the Jenkins farm.
England Cemetery Located on gravel road off the Gamaliel-Flippen Hwy. Turn off Hwy near the Aud Proffitt store, and go to the Cynthia England Place.
Fraim Cemetery Located at Flippin.
Church of Christ Cemetery Located in the churchyard of the Flippin Church.
Flippin Cemetery Located Tompkinsville behine the War Memorial Hospital.
Tinsley Cemetery Located off the Celina-Tompkinsville Hwy on Tinsley Hill near Boles.
Mill Creek Baptist Church Cemetery Located in Monroe Co. near Liberty School. Church established 1798.
Liberty Church Cemetery Located at the Liberty methodist Church and across road from the Mill Creek Baptist Church.
Hestand Cemetery Located at Hestand back of the Germany Church (across from the PO).
Baxter Cemetery Located near Hestand on the Celina-Tompkinsville Hwy.
Hunt Cemetery Located beyond Hestand store. Turn left on first road past the Vernon road. Located on a bank at right of Big McFarland Road, about a mile from hwy.
Combs Cemetery Located just beyond the Hestand store. Turn right on first dirt road and on the farm formerly owned by Gip Hestand.
Hammer Cemetery Located about 4 miles from Tompkinsville on the Celina Road. Turn right at Graham's Mill. About 1 miles from hwy.
Smith Cemetery Located on Cloyd's Ridge just off the Old Temple Hill Road on right of road just before going over the hill to Meshack Creek.
Maxey Cemetery Located in the Turnkey Neck Bend section behind the home of Tim E. Coe, formerly known as the Stokley Richardson place, and the location of the old Coe Post office.
Jones Cemetery Located in the Turkey Neck Bend section of Monroe County.
Andrew Cemetery Located in the Turkey Neck Bend section of farm now owned by Doug Evans.
Gee Cemetery Located in the Turkey Neck Bend section of a farm formerly owned by Ferd Williams.
Biggerstaff Cemetery Located in the Elbow section of Monroe County on the farm now owned by Homer Biggerstaff. Cemetery is on a hill in back of the house.
Kirkpatrick Cemetery Located in Center Point section and on left of Hwy, on back above road, and just beyond the old Kirkpatrick home.
Kirkpatrick Cemetery Located in the Center point section on the farm now owned by the Kirkpatrick sisters.
Kirkpatrick Cemetery Located across creek on the Mitchell Richardson farm. One marked stone below barn near the pond.
Center Point Cemetery Located near the Center Point School at Center Point.
Ball Cemetery Located in the Center Point section of Monroe County on the farm of Price Kirkpatrick.
Geralds or Kirkpatrick Cemetery Located on the Clurie Head farm in the Center Point section.
Geralds Cemetery Located in the Elbow section of Monroe County on the farm of Bryan Geralds.
McMillin Cemetery Sometimes called Chappell Cemetery or Dicken Cemetery. Located in the Vernon section on the Bazz Baxter farm.
Whiteside Cemetery Located in the Vernon section of Monroe County, back of the Vernon Church and school.
Williams Cemetery Located beyond the Vernon School, near Cumberland River and on farm now owned by Clint Murphy.
Sims Cemetery Located near Cumberland River between Vernon School and the Ferry, known as Martinsburg Ferry.
Savage-Stephens Cemetery Located up McFarlins Creek from Vernon.
Sims Cemetery Located on McFarlins Creek below the old Arterbury home, to the left of road going toward Vernon.
Hutchens Cemetery Located on Meshack Creek, in a barn lot on a farm near the road that goes on to Center Point.
Vance Cemetery Located on a prong of Little Sulpher Creek in a wooded section, up a hollow from Cleo Bartley's.
Lyons Cemetery Located on a prong of Little Sulpher Creek, follow gravel road to the hammer place, cemetery is on high hill to the rear of barn.
Brown Cemetery Located on a prong of Little Sulpher Creek, on the old Brown farm, but now owned by Jack Bartley.
Old Wilson Cemetery Located in the Turkey Neck Bend section of Monroe County, on a farm now owned by Clint Biggerstaff. Cemetery now called Biggerstaff but land was formerly owned by Samuel Wilson who was an extensive land owner in both Monroe and Jackson Counties; also gave the land wheron Old Mulkey Church now stands.
Ferguson Cemetery Located in the Rock Bridge section of Monroe County.
Neal Cemetery Located Flippin.
Compton Cemetery Located near Gamaliel on the Glennie & Don Compton farm.
Old Tompkinsville Cemetery May be known as the Old Presbyterian Church Cemetery, located between Spruce and 2nd Street, and adjoining the Maxey Cemetery.
Old Bartley Cemetery Located 1 mile north of Mt. Gilead Cemetery near the Old Wash Carter farm, west side of the road.
Palmore Cemetery Located in the Persimon section of Monroe Co on the old Jeff Palmore farm, now owned by Roy Anderson.
Old Stone Cemetery Located in southern part of Monroe County, near the KY-TN line, on farm formerly owned by Stephens family. Now owned by a Mr. Arms.
Chism Cemetery Located on the Lee Stephens farm on Gamaliel-Tompkinsville Road.
Shirley Cemetery Located in the Sand Lick section of Monroe County, on the farm owned by Brazil Owens.



Last Updated: Sun, 15-Jan-2012 1:17 AM


Return to main page


Last updated: Sunday, 15-Jan-2012 1:17 AM