by Kate Rigsby Cain Bynum
We're still researching our lineage, however,
we've hit a brick wall with Isaac Cain and Elizabeth Carson Cain's generation.
Help would be appreciated!
Isaac Kane/Cain born ca 1796 in S.C. married Elizabeth Carson 6 March 1812,
Grand’s Lick, Campbell Co. Ky. Isaac and Elizabeth was married by Moses Vickers,
and bondsman was Simon Clore. Recorded in: Marriage Book I Campbell County
Kentucky Court, Alexandria, Kentucky. Isaac Cain died. after 1870 in Kenton Co.
Ky. and Elizabeth d. after 1860.
Isaac & Elizabeth’s children are:
1. Agnes Jane born 1814 Plum Creek, Ky m. Philip Moss Huffman (Hoffman) 13 Oct
1829 in Campbell county Kentucky - Philip Moss Huffman (Hoffman) died and Agnes
married 2nd husband John Riley New. She died 12 Feb 1887 in Demossville,
Pendleton Co. Ky. 7 children laid to rest on Daniels Farm Campbell Co. “Note:
Phillip Hoffman received a land grant in Campbell Co KY.”
2. Sarah Dudley born 6 Mar 1815 M. Daniel Lawrence 5 March 1836 Daniel Lawrence
Jan 1807 d Jan 5, 1852 9 children
3. Daniel Moss b abt 1817 m. Nancy Perry 24 July 1838 m. 2nd Sarah Perry
4. Joseph b. 1819 m. 1st Jualy Vandever 14 March 1841 2nd Mariah Southard 21
Nov. 1849 m.
3rd Mary Hobbs 16 Dec 1879 M 4th Beaugard Bell 7 Mar 1884
5. Susan b.1824 m. Goedon Smith age 22 (could be Gordon but it looked like
Goedon) on the 1850 census for Hamilton Co., OH. Susan was 26 and there was a
Smith child, Thomas, age 1.
6. John Ludlow Cain b. 20 June 1825 m. Sarah Nelson Daniel 17 April 1845 died 8
1891 Guthrie Mo Callaway Co. Mo. buried Cain Family Cem.
7. Henry b May 1824/31 m. 1st Nancy?? 2nd S. Sullender m. 3rd Sabrina Hughes
8. Scott b. 1835 m. 1st Louisa Kyle m. 2nd Caroline Gray. KY Post 9/17/1907 Page
2 Deaths Scott Cain, 72, died at his home in Devon Hill, Kentucky of a
complication of diseases. Funeral tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial at
Highland Cemetery in Kentucky.
9. Thomas b. ca 1836 Ohio m. Sept 14, 1855 Newport, Campbell Co. Ky Harriet E.
10. James Allen b. Jan 1841 Ohio m. Oct 3, 1860 Independence Ky Celia Melissa
Feb 19, 1919 Independence, Ky. Burial at Independence Cemetery - James Allen m.
Melissa Crawford in Pendleton Co. Ky.
1810 census shows an Isaac Cain in SC and an Isaac O Cane in Charleston SC in
St. Andrews Twp
Joseph Carson page 32. There are some Cain’s in Union County, SC also, Rhoda,
Thomas, Isaac, John.
1820 Census Campbell County KY Page 14
Booze Reed... (bondsman on Isaac Cain’s marriage record)
Thomas Smith... (witness on Isaac Cain’s marriage record)
Isaac Cain 2 males under 10 one male 16 - 26 2 females under 10 one female 16-26
Agnes Carson 1 male 10-16 and 1 female 45+ (could be widow of the Carson on the
marriage record). They were listed in this order, looks like they were all
neighbors. Believe the Carsons, Cains, and possibly the Reeds came from SC
(Union and York Counties) together.
(1) James Franklin Cain/KAINS son of Scott Cain and Louise Kyle md. Minirva
Vastine Lindsey Aug 1, 1871
he was 18 and she was 20. She died Abt. 1889. Covington Kenton Co. Marriages
Children of FRANK CAIN and Minirva Vastine Lindsey are: Mary Elizabeth Cain
note: The names of Frank Cain's children that we have are from his daughter
Pearl Cain's deposition in
Oden Gibson's pension record. She was listing her "whole" brother and sisters.
Then, we have some step children from the census records. There may be other
half or step siblings that we haven't located yet.
1) HARRIETTA “RETTIE CAIN” b: November 19. 1872 d: May 15, 1921 married Robert
Henry Spoonamore August 1, 1897 - Rettie Cain died the very same day as Sally
May Spoonamore 5/15/1921 - 5/15/1921 was born.
2) MARY ELIZABETH CAIN, b. February 12, 1873 d: October 11, 1951 - Lived in
Paris, IL in 1927; m. TINCE RIGSBY. “Tince” is a nick name of Thomas L. Rigbsy -
Mary Elizabeth Cain married on 2-28-1896 Thomas Louis Rigsby (30) married.
Elizabeth Cain (22) on 2/28 Feb 1896 (book 10 p. 344 and 345) Rockcastle County,
Kentucky. The wedding location was "Wildie, Kentucky". Surety was W. F. Lambert.
Witnesses were S. P. Durham and P. J. Pawley. H. H. Wood married them in
Rockcastle County KY - Mary is the daughter of Frank Cain and Minirva Vastine
Lindsey. Mary Elizabeth died 10-1-1951 in Paris, Illinois. Cause of death:
Cerebral hemorrhage - vessel unknown, hypertension, arteriosclerosis.
3) LAURA ALICE CAIN, b. January 8,1875 - d: August 18,1937 in Trenton, Missouri
Laura A Cain md. George R Reams son of James Harrison Reams. Marriage was at W D
Mullins' place. C W Coffey was surety. Witness P L Nash. Md. 22 Sept 1892 by
James Lunsford. Laura lived in Trenton Missouri in 1927. REAMS Laura Alice CANE
Born 08 Jan 1875 Died 18 Aug 1937 - Grave stone says she was born Clinton Co,
KY; (grave sunken in ground)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mogrundy/cemetery/maplegrove-o.html “birth place
Clinton Co, KY could be a typo she was probably born in Kenton County KY”
4) PEARL MAE CAIN, b. June 09, 1879 d: April 8, 1938, Crescent Springs, KY
Kenton Co. abt 4 mi from Covington; d. April 08, 1938, Pine Hill, KY. After
Pearls mother died Pearl lived as a servant with J.B.(Buck) Reams and wife
Ollie, of Orlando,Ky.
note: “Ida Seybolt, Rosa Cain’s daughter” said 5 and 6 John and Rosa are twins
5) JOHN CAIN, b. April 1886 On June 3, 1896 J W Parsons was named guardian to
Cain in Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Was living in Cincinnati in 1927. John Cain
married Pearl Morris (could be Martha Pearl or Pearl Martha) with consent on
11/10/1909. They were married at the home of Mrs. E. Helton. Witnesses Mrs.
George Reams “John Cain’s sister” and Mrs. E. Helton.
6) ROSA BELLE (CAMP) CAIN, b. April 1886 d: 1933 - Lived in Louisville, KY in
1927; married Harvey Leffew on 3 Aug 1900 at Brodhead, KY. Tilman Gilpin and
John Sigman were witnesses. G D Hendrickson married them.
7) LISSIE CAIN, b. Lived at 1326 Clay St. Cincinnati in 1927; m. PAT RILEY.
Note: Lissie is possibly the first born child of FRANK CAIN and Minirva Vastine
Lindsey - we do know that she was older than Pearl Cain born in 1879.
8) LOULIE “Lula” CAIN, b. Lived in Indianapolis, IN in 1927; m. JEFFERSON
9) A female child was born to Frank and Minirvia Cain 4/19/1893 in Covington, KY
and died that same day. The child was buried in Linden Grove Cemetery. Return of
a Death Physician's certificate #229. Dave England from the Lindsey family
checked Linden Grove Cemetery book, it does include an entry for a child named
Cain buried in April 1893.
Back to top