Fountain Avenue United
John E. and Margaret B. Robertson
Fountain Avenue United Methodist
Church of Paducah, Kentucky: 1892-1992
A Centennial History. Paducah,
Image Graphics, Paducah, KY., 1992.
The early church records
are on microfilm at the McCracken County Public Library.
This could benefit those looking
for family citations.
Follow the link to the church site:
The Congregation organized in 1892 as a mission
of Broadway Methodist Church. The first location was in an old saloon
on North 10th Street. The group soon outgrew this building and moved
into a larger one. In 1893 the congregation built a new church at
Trimble [now Park Avenue] and Boyd and named it Trimble Street Methodist
The church continued to flourish and a lot was
purchased on Fountain Avenue at Monroe Street. The present church
was completed in 1908. A dedication ceremony was held in 1916 when
the church debt was paid. A steeple adorned the top of the church
but a lightening strike in 1921 demolished it and it was never replaced.
The flood of 1937 caused only minor damage to
the building when the water reached within 8 inches of the basement ceiling.
The church has many beautiful stained glass windows, which were donated
by members at the time it was built. The sanctuary has a Moller pipe
organ with 14 sets of pipes purchased in 1944.
An elevator to the first floor makes the sanctuary
handicapped accessible. In addition to Sunday School and worship
service on Sunday morning it offers a Wednesday evening fellowship supper
at a nominal fee plus activities for children and youth.
Visitors are always welcome at Fountain Avenue
United Methodist church.